Chapter 4

^listen when I say^

Camila's POV

I sit on the couch staring at the blank tv, seeing him tonight was strange. He looked different but in a good way, his shoulders wider with muscle and his short hair like he's shaved it but let it grow a little. I wonder what he's actually doing right now, what does he do, where does he stay? Not that I care anyway, just nosey.

I stuck to my word and focused on myself until my mother got sick, I worked so hard with two jobs trying to pay for my apartment, medical bills and it was all for nothing.

The treatments, all the fighting she done was for absolutely nothing, I wish I could've fought for her.

My phone rings and I jump as it breaks my thoughts, I read the caller ID and pick up.

"Hey"

"Hello fucker, how you doing?" His voice hoarse, Asher calls all the time making sure I'm okay, it's annoying but I'd rather hear from him than not hear from him at all, he's my only family left and I like that he still tries to banter with me like we use to.

"I'm good and you?"

"Good, just back from work" he sighs, he sounds tired.

"Guess who's back" I say.

"Uhm..." he says thinking.

"Ace" I answer before he guesses.

"Oh, how do you know?"

"I ran into him the other day and he just came by today" I tell the truth.

"What did he want?"

"Seeing how I am, he asked how you were too"

"Hm" is all he says.

I sigh, "Anyway, I have to continue to pack. Are you still helping this weekend?" I question.

"Yeah, I'm leaving Friday night"

"Okay well, I'll talk to you later"

"Cam.."

"Yeah?"

"Don't fall into his trap again"

I roll my eyes, "Shut up, Asher" I say and hang up.

I throw my phone to the other side of the couch and huff, I won't fall for anything. I'm done with boys and defiantly Ace, he left me years ago and I made a promise to myself, not to let a boy ruin my happiness. I said friends but deep down I don't even think I want to be friends with him.

I lean forward to the open box on the coffee table and pull out a picture of my mum, I lean back sinking into the couch admiring my beautiful mother. She never got her happiness with a man, I wish she did and he dragged her around the world giving her the best life ever, instead she got two children with a lot of problems and their father was a lying cheating asshole that didn't deserve her.

^Listen now^

I lay down on the couch holding the photo frame close to my chest, I close my eyes imagining she was by my side singing and running her hands through my hair like she use to when I was younger, she had an amazing voice, a powerful one.

Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby

Somewhere over the rainbow