World Kissing Day

July 6
World Kissing Day

· · ·

Creak creak creak creak

Carolina sits on the porch swing outside the front door, waiting for Caleb to arrive. Watching the cars drive by, she feels a wave of déjà vu wash over her. She nervously pulls at the hem of her beige blouse and runs her fingers through her hair. Today, she made an effort to look presentable, and she cannot help but question her fashion choice. Virginia stands behind the screen door, watching her little sister squirm.

You're oddly calm. What happened to your "omigosh, omigosh, omigosh" mantra?

I'm more mature.

*cough*

Oh, hush. It's not like I haven't seen him in four years.

True. Nonetheless, he is your true love. Shouldn't you be a bit more excited?

I'm internally screaming.

Virginia pushes open the door and steps outside into the humid summer air. She walks behind the swing and pulls it to a stop. She signs, placing her forearms on the back of the swing and her chin on top of her sister's head.

You grew up too fast.

Maybe you grew up too slowly.

No, that's just what happens when you're my baby sister.

The one and only.

Older sisters, however, can't seem to grow up fast enough.

The sound of an engine causes them to look up. A familiar slate-colored Chevy turns onto their road, and Virginia smiles knowingly when Carolina's face lights up. She returns to her place behind the screen door as the car parks by the curb. Carolina watches from the top of the stairs, her toes curled over the lip of the step, while he steps out and slams the door behind him. They meet in the middle, melting into the embrace. Then, soft as a butterfly, his lips touch hers.

· · ·

Literally the only romance you'll get out of me ever.  Made me want to gag just writing it :P