Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day

November 24
Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day

· · ·

Clap clap clap

Thank you. Thanks.

Carolina smiles at the crowd, her cheeks flushed in the spotlight, and turns to run her fingers along the piano keys.

Before I close for the night, I'd like to thank my accompanists, George Mason and Annette Roberts; our soundperson, Lynn Marcello; and the backstage crew. I'd like to thank my parents for flying out here and my sister for arranging tonight's concert. Finally, thank you to Daniel Kessler for making this concert possible.

Her eyes fall on a lone figure in the back row.

You've been a lovely crowd tonight. Thanks for coming, everyone.

She picks up her guitar while a few more people join her onstage, carrying string instruments. As soon as they're settled, the lights dim. It's as if the audience is holding their breath as the musicians begin a familiar, haunting tune.

"Deep in earth my love is lying
And I must weep alone."

With a soft smile on his lips, Danny pushes himself out of his chair and steps out of the auditorium. He hears Carolina's voice crooning the sale words of the old poem. He feels like tearing up again. He arrives at the backstage door, pulls out his pass, and flashes it to the man standing guard. The guard lets him in. Upon entering, he is taken by surprise when he finds Caleb sitting on a chair inside the door. His cousin puts a finger over his lips and whispers that his coming is a surprise. Ginny gave him her backstage pass to come see her. Danny sits down next to him, and they listen in silence to the music streaming through the stage door.

The applause is thunderous. Carolina calls the aforementioned George Mason and Annette Roberts back onstage for the curtain call. Cries for an encore accompany her and her musicians backstage.

You won't treat them with an encore?

That was the encore. Oh!

Carolina catches sight of her boyfriend and throws herself into his arms.

I feel so under-appreciated.

Shut up.

...

I'm so glad you guys could make it.

I'm suffering from an extreme case of jetlag, but I'm happy to be here.

You poor thing.

And my phone is blowing up with missed calls. That's mostly your fault.

Whoops, sorry.

By the way, how's business?

What?

Aren't you supposed to be selling your CDs right now?

...Oh, shish kabob. Bye!

She quickly throws Caleb's arm off her shoulders and shoots out the door. Danny turns to his cousin.

She's come so far, hasn't she?

Caleb nods.

We all have, really. A year ago, I wouldn't've dreamed of being in NYC with two of my favorite people for a childhood best friend's debut concert. Wow, time goes by so fast.

· · ·

Carolina's song "Deep in Earth" is based on an arrangement I wrote a couple years ago.  Maybe I should record it an post it here?