Chapter 42

The next day things were a bit awkward with Kendrick and Diamond. They didn't really talk unless they had to since it was such a busy day. By the end of the shift, Diamond walked outside to get into her car. Suddenly Kendrick came out of the building and called her.

"Diamond", he said.

Diamond turned around.

Kendrick got closer. "Um... I kinda saw or shall I say felt how things were during work and I was wondering if you were alright?"

Diamond seemed a bit nervous. "I'm fine. I just um.. I don't know just a lot going on today. Especially for it to be during the day. Usually that many people don't come in until the night"

Kendrick nods. "That's true but umm.. why are you acting so nervous?"

"What?", she questioned.

"Usually you're so confident in yourself.. you seem nervous or something"

"Kendrick, I'm fine", she said with a fake smile.

Kendrick nods. "I um... I don't know... seems like you're trying to avoid what you told me last night", he said. "I get it if you didn't mean it or if you and Brian decided to work things out"

"Kendrick, I meant what I said", she said.

"So you wouldn't mind going to get a bite to eat with me? Not a date or anything. I'm just in the mood to dine in and I don't have anyone to dine in with", he said. "If that's okay with you"

"Kendrick, all those nurses who flirt with you and you mean to tell me you can't find anyone to get a bite to eat with", she asked with her arms folded.

"You got a point but um I rather go with an old friend ya know", he said.

Diamond nods. "I would need to change out of my uniform", she said

"That's fine, I can pick you up from your house", he said.

"You could.. but I rather me just pick you up from yours after I change", she said.

"Now why would I let you do that? That's a red flag remember?", he said as he got closer to her.

Diamond looks up at him and smiles. "Thought this was just friends going out", she said.

Kendrick smiles.

Diamond chuckles and looks to the side. "I'll pick you up. I have to get Ayanna from her grandparents' house afterward anyway"

"Alright only because you have to go somewhere afterward", he said.

Diamond looked down for a moment.

"You sure you good?", he asked.

Diamond turned around and began to walk to her car. "I'm fine. Just text me your address", she said.

Kendrick watched her.

Diamond got into the car and Kendrick walked to his.

Diamond started her car and laid her head on the seat and let out a sigh. She didn't know whether or not it was the best thing to do out to dinner with Kendrick or not. She was still married and it felt wrong. She started to call Kelly but realized she can't even call her after what she did. She started to call Vanessa but already knew what answer she was going to give her. She wanted to call somebody for advice but had nobody to call. Diamond then began to realize how alone she was. She began to realize how much she missed hearing her parents' voices, their advice, their comfort. Of course, she had her grandmother but she was currently going through her stages of Alzheimer's. All she really had was Vanessa and Ayanna. She was fine about that but she began to think about her parents which lead her to cry.