Chapter 52

After Diamond gave Brian two sandwiches, she got dressed and got into the car. She looked at the time and it was only 4 o'clock. She didn't need to pick Ayanna up until 6. She sat in the car for a few minutes to get herself together and pulled out the driveway.

20 minutes later, she drove up to Kendrick's house and rang the doorbell and knocked on the door.

Suddenly Kennedy opened the door.

"Diamond?", Kennedy said. "Hey? What are you doing?"

Diamond was quiet for a moment. "...I- ... is Kendrick here?", she asked.

Kendrick came to the door and Kennedy looked at Kendrick and walked back into the house.

Kendrick walked outside and shut the door behind him. "What's up?", he asked.

"So.. you with Kennedy now?", she asked.

Kendrick changes the subject. "My mama came by... asked me if I talked to you", he said. "She didn't look like she was asking just to ask"

Diamond looks down.

"What happened today?", Kendrick asked.

Diamond shook her head.

"So why you here?", he asked.

Diamond shook her head. "Never mind", she said as she faked smiled.

"Diamond what's up with you?", Kendrick asked.

"Nothing, is up with me alright. I don't know why I came. You have somebody else to worry about", she said as she began to walk away.

Kendrick made a face.

Diamond opened the door to her car. "I'm happy for you...be good to her okay?", she said.

"Diamond?", he asked.

Diamond got into the car and drove away.

Kendrick stood there for a moment then walked into the house.

"Y'all still fucking?", Kennedy asked.

"Kennedy please. Not now", he said.

"Kendrick I'm so sick of this. We have been together for how long now?? a year and I've known you for years and you can't even talk to me about shit?", she asked.

"Kennedy, it ain't shit to talk about iight", Kendrick said. "All this nagging shit gotta go"

"Nagging?? Kendrick why did she come?", Kennedy asked.

"She ain't say nothing alright?", Kendrick said.

Kennedy folded her arms. "I'm going home until you learn how to talk", she said.

Kendrick rolled his eyes. "What's new?", he asked.

"Same smart ass bastard from college, but I bet you wouldn't say no shit like that to her", she said as she grabbed her things.

"There you go with that comparing shit", he said.

"It's true, Kendrick", Kennedy said. "It's like...I knew something had been up with you since you started working at the hospital and now I see why"

"It ain't nothing going on between me and Diamond, iight?", he said.

"Yea whatever", Kennedy said before she walked out.

Kendrick shook his head and sat down.

———————————————————

Diamond got Ayanna from daycare and they went back home.

Ayanna and Diamond walked through the door and Ayanna saw Brian.