Chapter 66

The next morning, Diamond woke up to Kendrick calling her name. He had a tray with a plate of food and a cup of orange juice.

"What's this?", she asked with her eyes barely opened.

"Breakfast", Kendrick said.

Diamond slowly sat up. "Aww this is sweet", she said. "What time is it?"

"9 o'clock", he answered as he sat the orange juice on the night stand.

"Is Ayanna up?", Diamond asked.

"Yes and she's eating", Kendrick said as he put the tray on her lap

Diamond looked at the plate. It had a piece of toast, eggs, sausage and fruit. "I see you stuck to the basics", she said with a smile.

Kendrick chuckles. "Yes", he said.

Diamond took a bite of the toast.

Kendrick stopped smiling. "Ya know. I thought you said that Ayanna was liking me better", Kendrick said.

"She was", Diamond said

"So...what happened?", Kendrick asked.

Diamond shakes her head. "Nothing. I'll handle it", she said.

Kendrick nods. "It's Brian isn't it?", he asked.

Diamond nods.

"You need to talk to him", Kendrick said. "I know Ayanna isn't my kid but he shouldn't be tellin a four year old negative stuff that isn't true at that"

"I will talk to him", Diamond said softly as she didn't look at Kendrick.

"...I'm not yelling at you", he said.

"Okay", she said as she glanced at him and cleared her throat because her voice was cracking.

Kendrick looked down. "I'll go check on Ayanna", he said.

"I'll come to", she said. "So she um doesn't give you a hard time"

Kendrick picked up the tray from her lap and walked out the room as Diamond followed him holding her cup of juice. Once Diamond got into the room, she saw Ayanna eating.

"Ayanna. Are we being nice to Kendrick?", Diamond asked.

Ayanna nods.

"He told me you weren't", Diamond replied.

Ayanna looked at Kendrick then back at Diamond.

"Apologize", Diamond said.

Ayanna looked at Kendrick. "I'm..sorry", she said.

"It's okay, Ayanna", he said.

Diamond walked to Kendrick and took her food and sat at the table.

"...I think imma head out iight?", Kendrick said.

"You have to work?", she asked.

"No. But I do have things I need to get done at the house", he said.

Diamond nods. "Okay", she said as she looked at her food with a quick smile then her expression went sad.

Kendrick looked at her for a moment. He has been trying his best to keep her happy. He can for a moment but it seemed like nothing worked. He didn't know what to do.

"I'll be back tonight, alright?", he said.

Diamond nods.

Kendrick leaves.

Ayanna stares at Diamond. Diamond feels her looking at her so she eventually looks at Ayanna.

"Yes? Is everything okay?", Diamond asked.