Chapter 2 : The Only Way

[Jane's P.O.V.]

I raised my cup of coffee to my mouth. The bitter taste plus aromatic scent of the drink was something that kept me awake. Homework's done. Now...

My eyes fell on the pile of books on my desk and the file Mr James sent a chill down my spine. I shook my head. What should I do about it?

-Flashback-

It was dark. Nothing was clear to me, even when I spotted the two bodies lying on the ground. Flooded by a pool of red-colored liquid. 

"M-Mom?" I covered my mouth, trying hard to deny it was her there, lying not far from another still body. No way. "Dad?!"  Tears started to fill up my eyes. Everything happened so fast, so hard to believe. 

"Ja.. Jane?" I gasped to hear my mom's voice coming from one of the figures. i quickly ran over to her, kneeling down as I held her stained hand. Blood was coming out from her mouth and stomach. She looked in pain, struggling hard to catch her breath. I can't bear to see her like that. 

"Mom... What happened?! Oh gosh, what have I done?"

"No. You did not do anything, dear." She tried to hold me but she coughed blood again. I couldn't think straight and started to panic. She took my hand and I was crying like crazy. Her lovely eyes were now staring at me sadly. No, mom. Don't do this to me. 

"This is all my fault, all because of my job! My freaking stupid dream!"

Mom shook her head. "Hush, don't say that! It's n-not your fault!" Her warm voice broke my heart.

"But the..."

"Jane, I love you the way you are..." she smiled faintly. I instantly cried harder when I saw the blood at the corner of her mouth. How can I let my mom become like this? 

"Keep PROTECTING people, okay?" She said and before I could say anything further, she closed her eyes, forever.

And with that, I ended my dreams.

-Present-

I shook my head again. Damn those memories keep haunting me. Even after all those therapy I had to do in Korea, those dark moments are not planning to leave my mind. School is something I thought could make me get better fast, plus I'm far away from my home country. But through this point of view, I'm stuck with the past.

I lost her. No, I lost them both. I didn't even get to say goodbye to dad. Not even a last word from him. 

"Don't cry, Jane." I composed myself and took a deep breath. You're okay now. You've move on.  

I sipped my coffee a few times and reached for the file. I stared at it for some time. 

"Keep PROTECTING people, okay?"

Mom's last words appeared in my mind, making me sighed again. Come on, mom. Am I really going to do this again? Risking my life all over again?

But then I have no family now, so I guess no one would harm my beloved ones now cause I don't have any.

Last time I checked, I lost the ones I love.

With a heavy heart, I opened the file and started to read the profiles. One by one captured my attention as I read their profiles. Their previous accidents and background. My eyes widened in shock as I examine the faces of twelve boys smiling in a picture. 

It's them. The famous, iconic and uprising boy group of South Korea. 

EXO.

**********

Our classroom was as loud as any classrooms can be. I was sitting at the back, thinking about that offer. Do I need to reject it or accept it?

Then, someone pulled the chair beside me and sat down. I turned to see Tae Joo. He took a glance at me and I smiled at him. Despite his awful personality, I wanted to befriend him because till now, I don't really think I have a real friend yet. No girls are ready to approach me, I guess. 

"Annyong, Tae Joo-ah."

"Hm." He replied coldly. He was taking out his text book and began to read it. Geez, for a person like him, he really likes to study though. 

"You are actually reading that?" I exclaimed. Ops, me and my mouth. He just continued reading with a serious expression. "Ne. Can't you see?"

"I though boys like you would rather destroy the whole place when teachers are not in class." I said, sprinkling some sarcasm. 

"Duh? Why should I? I'm not like them." He pointed out to some boy students that were goofing off in front of class. Making chaos, I think.

"Seriously? Then, you must be smart."

"You bet." He smirked, raising his thick eyebrows at me. 

"Aigoo, if only you're nice." I lifted the corner of my lips to show the sarcasm. 

He lowered his book for a while and stared at me. "Me?"

"Duh, you." 

"I'm not nice?"

"Nope. At all.!" I said, laughing. His face became dorky all of the sudden and I just couldn't stand it.

"Why are you laughing? There is nothing to laugh at!" He remarked with a confused tone. I kept laughing, this time softly.

"You look  like a dork, man!" I exclaimed with my laughter rising up again. 

"What did you just say?" I could hear the pissed tone of his and I looked at him right in the eyes.

"You're dorky, but still cute." I muttered and taking out my textbook. He became silent for a while and frowned at my action. "What are you doing?"

"I'm following you. Maybe I could be smarter this way. And dorkier." I laughed again. He didn't respond and look back at his textbook. "Suit yourself."

"Hahaha..." I kept laughing. "I should've took a picture and make it world history. Park Tae Joo, the dorkiest man on earth or something. What a headline." I could have swore that Tae Joo was glaring at me but I just ignored him completely. 

The thought of the offer made me silent. I imagined darkness surrounding me and I shook my head to make it go away. Such an offer doesn't appear everywhere. What if... What if that's the only way? 

For me to build what I've been destroying and gain what I've lost? 

If so, I'm taking that way. The only way. 

-

A/N:

Please vote, comment and enjoy!

Thanks for reading!

Check out my other fanficts, please XD

TQ.