Chapter 6

"Make it stop!" I scream, hands shaking as I press them to my ears, burying my face into my legs and sobbing, the loud noise wrestling its way in, penetrating through my eardrums as I beg for it to end

I've lost sight of how long this has been going on for, all sense of time and reality gone as I shake on the cold, hard floor, the pitch black cell causing me to tremble from the moment I entered.

Without warning the noise cuts off and I gasp, not daring to move my hands from my ears, scared that it's a trick. They've done it once before and then turned it back on when I finally started feeling safe. Elissa fucking Germain can go to fucking hell.

A sudden clattering has my attention and I hesitantly pull my hands away from my ears, shooting up into a sitting position as light streams in from the doorway, someone falling inside before the door is slammed once more, both of us thrown back into the pitch black abyss.

"Hello?" I hesitantly call out, my voice shaky, unsure whether this is another of their tricks or whether someone is actually in here with me. I'll take my chances if there's a slight possibility of the latter being the case.

"Who's there?" the female voice calls back. "Where are you?"

"I'm... I'm over here," I manage to stutter out, hearing them as they attempt to shuffle across the floor. "I'm E-Emilia."

"Emilia?" they reply, a relatively high pitch voice. "Emilia Burton?"

"Y-yeah, how do you know me? Who are you?" I ask, their hands reaching out towards me, making me jump before I grab on, their body sliding next to mine, both of us seeking comfort from the other.

"We went to school together," she answers and I sense the familiarity in her voice yet I am unable to place it. "Kayla Thompson."

"Kayla?" I breathe out, slightly shocked. We were enemies at school, complete opposites, both vying for most popular. It's pathetic. "Why are you in here?"

"I broke one of the rules," she mutters. "I went to pick up my rations without Jace."

"Jace?"

"My husband," she replies and I furrow my nose, trying to figure out what she means. I didn't know that you weren't allowed to do that.

"You aren't allowed to go get the rations without one another?"

"Didn't you read the rules?" she retorts and I grimace. Fantastic. The fucking rules again.

"I think that's why I'm in here," I snort slightly, our hands still gripping onto each other. "What are the rules?"

"They came in the envelopes yesterday? At the ceremony?"

"My delightful husband decided to throw his envelope on the street," I inform her before gulping down the lump in my throat.

"Shit," Kayla breathes out. "So you haven't seen the rules?"