Chapter 19

The words won't stop echoing around my head

"I might not be around forever."

Why do they bother me so much? I always knew that he wouldn't hang around for longer than he has to, it was obvious that he won't be here for the long haul.

Yet as soon as the words fell out of his mouth I felt uneasy, like there was a deeper meaning to what he said, a darker side to them. What else could he mean by that? The darkest idea I've come up with is death, the thought causing a gut wrenching feeling to tear through me.

He didn't mean death. Did he?

"Emilia?" Zac calls up the stairs, tearing me out of my thoughts, my eyes flying over towards the hallway.

"Just a minute!" I call back, grabbing onto a hair tie and quickly pulling my hair away from my face, biting my lip as I watch myself in the mirror. I have to stop dwelling over those words, I need to forget about them. He did, after all, only say maybe.

Does that mean he could be here forever?

Wait, what? Do I even want that? I think not...

"Emilia, fucking come on!"

"I'm coming!" I snap back, ripping my eyes away from my reflection and stomping down the stairs towards the annoyed looking Zac.

"I don't have to do this you know," Zac snaps. "I could fucking stop this right now."

"Do it then," I dare, taking a step closer, narrowing my eyes at him.

"It's your life on the line, not mine." He reminds me with a smirk.

"Oh, what? Because you're fucking Superman?" I scoff and he laughs.

"I always preferred Batman."

"Really?" I wrinkle my nose up at his words.

"Hell fucking yeah." He shrugs. "If you disagree you're an idiot."

"You're so damn rude!" I exclaim, reaching out and shoving him.

"Let's go." Zac grins before pulling the door open, both of us emerging onto the street. I don't look where I'm going, instead colliding with something hard, stumbling before falling into the familiar body.

"Careful there." Rayden smiles at me, steadying me back on my feet as my eyes meet his gorgeous blue ones.

I can't help but smile back at him, a pang of nostalgia hurtling through me at the contact, his eyes pinned to mine as they have been so often in the past. "Sorry," I exclaim.

"It's okay."

"Ray?" The sudden whiny voice has me pursing my lips and swallowing the sudden lump in my throat as I tear my eyes from his, and back towards the annoyed looking Lyla.