Chapter 48

No way

No way. No fucking way.

Claudia. My Claudia. Our Claudia.

Surely she didn't just...

I'm still screaming as I raise my gun, aiming it straight for Gia and pulling hard on the trigger. She yells as I hit her arm, clutching at the wound before she falls to the floor.

Numerous Enforcers suddenly swarm in behind her, grabbing onto the bitch and dragging her away. My fruitless attack only sees five Enforcers fall to the floor behind their leader, Zac's sister quickly managing to escape with a mere flesh wound. I scream out in frustration, anger coursing through every vein as I continue to fire towards the doorway.

I swear to God, I will fucking end her.

By this point Zac has picked up his own gun, furiously shooting at the Enforcers who try to leave at the other end of the hall before slamming the door shut behind them.

I turn to look at the devastating scene, Claudia's lifeless eyes still showing as Jordan weeps onto her chest, crying out as he clutches her to him. I somehow throw myself towards them, falling down next to her and grabbing her hand, pleading with her to come back, my voice hoarse.

This can't be it.

Claudia deserves more. She wanted to see what was outside Nottingham, she wished for fresh air and freedom, for her and Jordan to be safe. Instead she died in this fucking prison.

The tears are flowing down my cheeks uncontrollably as I reach up and grab onto a strand of her blonde hair, letting it run through my fingers.

Come back, Claudia!

I fucking need you.

From the very moment she knew who I was, she made it her mission to be kind to me and ensure I was okay. Claudia made me feel like one of the team, she laughed with me and stayed up late as we consoled Kayla. And now? I need her to console me, to tell me that everything is going to be okay. Where the fuck is she when I need her? Claudia...

"Emi." Zac's voice is quiet, his hand suddenly resting on my back. I throw myself into his arms, screwing my eyes shut in an attempt to forget the sight of my best friend's lifeless form. 

We stay there for what feels like hours, but is probably only minutes. Zac clutches me to him the entire time, the two of us sitting beside Claudia and her sobbing, heartbroken husband.

"We... we need to go," Zac eventually says, pulling away from me slightly.

"We can't," I reply, my voice deep, broken and completely unrecognisable.

"They'll be back," Zac points out and I shake my head.

"I don't care!"

"Zac?" a loud voice suddenly calls out, Kieran rounding the corner before he stops short at the awful sight.