Chapter 37

"Based on what?" I snap, instinctively pushing Emilia behind me

"She has no-one to back up her claims that she was here all day, does she?" The Enforcer taunts, smirking slightly. I nearly launch myself at him before the awful memories of the prison creep into the forefront of my mind, reminding me not to do something stupid.

"Nor does half the fucking street I expect," I retort. "She doesn't even like Kayla, why would she help her?"

"Is that true, Emilia?" the Enforcer asks, Emilia's grip on my arm tightening.

"You said it yourself," I reply. "I fucking made out with Kayla. Why would Emilia like her?"

"I was asking Emilia."

"N-no," Emilia manages to stutter out. "I don't like her."

"You don't seem so sure." The man raises an eyebrow as he continues to smirk. Rage bubbles just beneath my rib cage. Focus, Zac... Getting thrown in the Cell will only make everything worse, just like when you went to Killmoor.

"Because you're scaring her shitless." I scoff.

"Maybe that's because she's guilty."

"I'm not!" Emilia protests, her small voice considerably louder this time.

"No. Maybe it's because you put innocent people in the fucking Cell when they've done fuck all wrong." I point out with a smirk appearing on my own lips. Fucking idiots.

"You better watch your mouth," the Enforcer warns and I instantly step forward, not taking lightly to his fucking threat, prison or not.

"Or what?"

"Zac!" Emilia exclaims, giving my arm a quick yank. I look back at her pleading eyes and relent, shutting my mouth before turning to the Enforcers.

"You didn't leave the house once this afternoon?" They ask her and she quickly shakes her head.

"No."

"Thank you for your time," the Enforcer replies before gesturing at the others. They all turn, filing out of the front door. My gaze doesn't leave them as I follow them to the exit.

As soon as the door shuts behind them, I snap the lock in place, despite the fact that it's futile in protecting us. Turning to look at Emilia, I absorb her fearful expression, not hesitating when I walk towards her, my hands falling onto her forearms.

"I..." She trails off, eyes wide with panic as they flit from side to side, her breathing laboured.

"Emilia," I exclaim, grabbing the sides of her face. "Emilia, breathe!" I order, my words forcing her to look at me. Her gaze is full of horror and fear, the sight causing my body to fill with anger, a strange urge filling me, one that's begging me to take her terror away.