Chapter 43

Standing next to Heidi and Sam, I grimace at the make do stage that has been set up at the end of the street, Mrs Germain's arrival imminent

Standing next to Heidi and Sam, I grimace at the make do stage that has been set up at the end of the street, Mrs Germain's arrival imminent. I spy Rayden across the road, Lyla chatting in his ear as he nods, a couple of other girls laughing with his wife. Claudia and Jordan are leaning against the terraced houses, looking bored out of their minds as we wait for this farce of a party to begin.

"How long will Zac be?" Sam asks and I shrug.

"He had to deliver food to Newcastle," I reply, hugging my arms around myself in the cold winter air. "I don't think he'll be too long."

"It's beginning!" Heidi hisses, nodding towards the stage. I turn to see Germain, donned in a pink party dress, her hair curled, a grin on her face as she looks at us. She's not a bad looking woman, it's just a shame that she's the world's biggest bitch. Although apparently she isn't the worst - there's someone else.

"Welcome all," she exclaims, smiling enthusiastically. Two Enforcers flank either side of her as she stands centre stage. "I'm so excited to be throwing the first annual street party for all of you well matched couples. You are the pride and joy of the State, the promise of a better future, and for that you should be rewarded," she says. I bite down on the inside of my lip as Sam mutters a curse under his breath.

Germain takes a short pause before continuing, "I want to thank each and every one of you for continuing to support the State, and following the rules that allow us to ensure a safe and cohesive community."

Is she fucking delusional? How exactly do the Rules keep everyone safe?

"The war drove us into despair. We all lost loved ones and we all lost hope." She paces the length of the small stage. "Yet somehow as a State we have managed to regain control, inputting a sense of normality back into your lives by reforming families," she exclaims. "Without these measures Nottingham would still be in ruins, as would the rest of the North."

Most of it still is, you fucking idiot.

"It is therefore imperative to follow these rules. The State's laws are the most important thing in this new North." She stops walking, instead staring out at her silent audience. "And anyone who goes against this, or threatens the walls of this society will not be treated with kindness," she finishes, eyes narrowing as she searches around the sea of faces. I fight to keep my expression blank, not taking well to her veiled threats.

You just wait, bitch. Your day will come.

*~*~*

Walking down the street with a toffee apple in hand, I hesitantly bite into it, unable to resist the chewy goodness. The road is full of laughing couples, everyone intermingling as music blares around the entire space.

Germain disappeared as soon as her speech was over, the rest of us dispersing, looking at the individual funfair stalls, the food that was handed out by State employees. Such a fucking joke.