Chapter 12

"It means that I'm not sure we're ever going to find your sister," Jordan replies, his voice low and apologetic

"It means that I'm not sure we're ever going to find your sister," Jordan replies, his voice low and apologetic. "Or anyone else for that matter."

"I need air," I manage to say, dropping the file back down onto the table and turning away, heading straight back outside and leaning against the wall of the house, my mind racing at a mile a minute. Fuck.

I don't fucking believe it. I've always known there's a chance my sister is dead, that they'd killed her for trespassing on State property after hours, but I've never truly believed it. Until now.

I remember how she ran straight into the Boys' house, prowling the halls and searching for me after she was nearly caught in the strawberry fields, Enforcers after her with torches until finally she thought that she had managed to lose them in the woods. She was panicking like hell when she woke me up, crying hysterically. Jordan was my roommate back then and promptly woke up from the noise of the terrified girl. We both managed to calm her down after an hour before I walked her back to the Girls' house, promising her that I'd make sure she was safe the next day, that we'd figure out a way to make sure they never knew it was her they were chasing.

I guess they already knew.

It was the last time I ever saw her.

Should I stop, completely abort the mission? What's the fucking point continuing to pick apart the State when my sister isn't even available to save?

Fuck. I'll never see her again, never be able to apologise for not doing more to help her. I failed her.

"Zac?" Jordan calls out as he appears from the house, looking over at my distraught expression.

"I'm done, Jordan." I breathe out, not even daring to lift my head from the brick. "I'm fucking done with this shit."

*~*~*

Zac left this morning as soon as we had collected the food, not surprising me one bit

Zac left this morning as soon as we had collected the food, not surprising me one bit. He said he'd be back, but I'm not holding my damn breath. He's not trustworthy, not reliable, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

I can't believe I have to fucking sleep with him and have a child. I mean sure, the sexual chemistry is clearly there between us, that heated kiss in the living room a sure sign of that, my underwear absolutely soaked as soon as his lips touched mine. As a Father however? No thank you.