Chapter 18

"Can we help you?" Zac asks, his voice low as he steps up beside me, my eyes pinned on the dark uniforms of the Enforcers

"As proud members of the Enforcers, acting on behalf of Elissa Germain, we are here to do a home inspection," one of the men replies gruffly, quickly pushing past me and entering our living room. The others follow, Zac grabbing hold of me and pulling me back against his chest, keeping me as far away from them as possible.

"Let's make it quick then, yeah?" Zac snaps as we turn to face the invaders, two of the Enforcers already poking around our front room, one of them picking up my books and beginning to rifle through the pages.

"Can you confirm that you are Zachary and Emilia Hastings?" The man in the middle asks, pulling out a clipboard and glancing down at it.

"Yes," Zac retorts, his arm still wrapped around my waist. I can feel myself shaking against him and he begins to move his hand in small soothing circles on my waist, a clear attempt to help me calm down.

"And you?" The Enforcer glares at me.

"Y-yes." I nod. "I'm Emilia."

With a nod he notes something on his clipboard before turning his attention back to us and pointing towards the couch. "If you two could just take a seat here, we shouldn't be too long," he snaps.

Zac immediately pushes me forward, his chest still against my back as we walk over to the couch, him finally removing his arm from my waist as we sit down. I am unable to look up at the Enforcers, nausea spreading through me at the thought of them in my home, going through all of my stuff. The other two have moved into the kitchen, the clattering sounds of pots and pans being chucked around making me flinch every time.

Something touching my wrist makes me jump and I look up, relaxing instantly when I realise it's Zac. He nods reassuringly and I grimace, quickly looking back down at my lap as he squeezes my hand.

I'm desperate for this to be over, hoping they'll be gone as soon as possible. From the very moment I laid eyes on them standing at the front door, terror filled every corner of my body, wondering what they're looking for, or what they deem to be punishable.

After all, it's not like Zac and I have ever even read the full version of the Rules. We have no idea how our home is supposed to look, what we are supposed to do with it.

I should have asked Sam or Heidi, I should have begged Rayden to tell me more. Why is it that I can't seem to grow up and get my priorities straight? Instead I throw straight myself into harm's way.

I'm lucky that Zac was here today, but then again, I know that this is the reason he's been staying here. He's been expecting a home inspection for the last two weeks, and now that it's here he'll disappear soon after, leaving me to deal with the consequences.

"We're done." They suddenly announce, each of them stepping back into the living room. Zac immediately stands up, leaving me behind on the couch as the Enforcer tears off a piece of paper and hands it over. "Your home is of adequate status, one that does not require severe punishment. However, we noticed that the master bedroom does not appear to house both parties in this marriage?"