Chapter 44

A wretched scream fills the entire street and it takes me only five seconds to realise that it came from me

My eyes are still fixed on Rayden, his gorgeous eyes now glassy as they stare up at me.

He's gone.

I will never hear his voice again, never feel his arms around me and never see his smile.

It's as though time has come to a standstill, the crowd shell-shocked as they take in the carnage in front of them, the innocent man who was just shot to death for no good reason other than standing up for his so-called wife.

A tall guy suddenly pushes his way through the crowd, not taking a second to think about what he's doing before he ploughs his fist into the Enforcer's face. His action sets everyone free, numerous people launching themselves towards the Enforcer who so carelessly took a life.

Another group carefully grabs onto Rayden's body, moving it away from the brawl as the Enforcer screams from the depths of the vigilantes who are furiously beating him. 

A sudden smash catches my attention and I look up to see a chair flying into one of the windows of our beloved terraced houses.

State employees who were manning the stands are attempting to run, their escape halted by various members of the enraged married population. I watch as one girl grabs onto the lemonade stall guy by the hair, yanking it back and throwing him to the ground, the girl's friends soon joining her.

A flurry of Enforcers are making their way down the street, guns in hand, clearly showing what their intended solution is to stop this utter chaos. They'll kill anyone in their way, no matter how important the married sector of society apparently is.

I take a step forward but Zac grabs onto my waist, pulling me back against his hard chest. "Let me go!" I scream, wrestling against him, desperate to avenge my kind, caring, handsome ex-boyfriend.

"We have to get out of here!" Zac hisses in my ear, dragging us back down the street, the pure destruction only getting worse the longer I watch it develop on the usually silent road.

"Fuck off!"

"Stop it, Emilia," he snaps. "It's dangerous!"

"I don't fucking care!" I yell back, lifting my foot up and harshly slamming it down onto his.

"Shit!" Zac exclaims, shoving me away from him. I stumble against the wall of the alleyway before turning back to face him.

"You're not stopping me," I say in a low voice, his eyes glazing over with slight defeat.

"Emilia, if they find out-"

"It's too late, Zac!" I cut him off. "Don't you get it? Look at the state of that fucking street!" I exclaim, pointing back towards the chaos.