Chapter 38

"What?" Jordan snaps

"She can't be-"

"I literally just stepped outside and Nate found me. He handed me this!" Anna thrusts a piece of paper towards us, Zac grabbing onto it.

"Who's Nate?" I ask, watching as Zac's jaw tenses, his eyes scanning over the document.

"He works in the admin office with Anna," Kieran explains.

"He's one of Germain's personal Enforcers. He can't resist me." She smirks.

"Can we fucking focus?" Zac snaps, holding the paper in front of him. I hesitantly reach out and take it. "They've done something to Bridget and we have no fucking clue what!"

"What do we do?" I reply, looking down at the document. A black and white picture of Bridget covers the top right, one that she clearly didn't know was being taken, her laughing at something someone is saying. The entire bottom of the page is covered by two large, red words; Threat Annihilated. What the fuck?

"There's nothing we can do," Zac retorts as Claudia takes the paper from me. "We haven't found Gia, we're hardly going to find Bridget!"

"You don't know that!" Kieran tries.

"Yes I do!" Zac yells. "She's fucking gone." He reaches up, running his hand through his hair as I notice tears beginning to stream down Claudia's face. "As soon as the Enforcers take them, that's it. Game over."

"Zac-"

"Do you not think that if they were alive, we would have found them by now?"

"We haven't even left Nottingham!" Jordan argues. "We don't know where they could be."

Zac grimaces, shaking his head and storming out of the kitchen. A sob leaves Claudia's mouth and Jordan gathers her into his arms, whispering in her ear. I see Anna biting her lip, clearly attempting to reign in her emotions as Kieran stares at the wall with a blank expression. 

The full meaning of Anna's announcement hasn't completely sunk in, my mind numb from seeing those words on the page. How have the State annihilated a threat? Why was Bridget a threat in the first place?

Sure, we're all threats to the State, but there is no way they know that... or we would all be annihilated by now. Bridget came across as kind, considerate, and I know that she always followed the rules outside of this Safe House. She hated the State, yet she wasn't stupid. She knew how she had to act away from these walls.

Hell, she's the one who gave me tips and told me off for not making more of an effort to be civil to the Enforcers. Bridget was the one who was a pro at keeping herself under the radar.

Now she's gone. They came and took her without an explanation. None of us were there to save her despite her attempts to keep all of us safe. We failed her.