Chapter 35

Zac, Rayden, Sam and a few guys that I've never seen before argue with the Enforcers for over half an hour before they give in, allowing the boys to keep Jace's body

Zac, Rayden, Sam and a few guys that I've never seen before argue with the Enforcers for over half an hour before they give in, allowing the boys to keep Jace's body. Throughout it all, Heidi and I cradle Kayla on the pavement, tears streaming down both of our faces as we attempt to soothe our inconsolable friend.

Once the Enforcers finally leave, Zac orders someone to fetch him a sheet, all of them gently laying Jace onto it, ready to wrap his body away.

Kayla stumbles to her feet, Heidi and I right behind her when she throws herself onto the ground next to her dead husband, crying out in agony and caressing his face. When she starts screaming, Zac lifts her away, ordering Sam to take us to our house and wait for them to return. I hesitantly agree, the look of absolute rage in Zac's eyes warning me not to start an argument.

Heidi and I put Kayla in my bed, both of us staying with her for hours as she cries, eventually drifting off to sleep, tears still streaming down her face. I then spend another half an hour with Heidi in my arms as she sobs, begging me to end this cruel life. I sit there silently, unable to even comprehend what's happened as my hands smooth down her hair, my own face sodden with tear-streaked mascara.

Standing up and wiping her tears away, we eventually walk back downstairs, her hand in mine as we enter the living room. Rayden is sitting with his head in his hands and Sam instantly jumps up from beside him to hug Heidi. Zac stands in the corner, his face like thunder, arms crossed but unfurling slightly as I enter.

"How is she?" Rayden asks softly and I shrug.

"She finally fell asleep."

"What did you do... with..." Heidi trails off, leaning her head on Sam's chest.

"We buried him in Church Cemetery," Sam replies and she nods, burying her face in his chest.

"You should all go home," I manage to say. "She's going to need us as soon as she wakes up in the morning."

"Of course." Sam nods. "Let's go?" he says to Heidi. She agrees, both of them making their way to the front door.

Ray gets up from the couch, walking over and reaching out, placing an arm on my shoulder. "I'll see you tomorrow," he says and I smile shakily before he disappears, the door shutting behind him. I turn back to look at Zac, his face softening at my expression.

"Emi..." He trails off as we meet in the middle of the room.

"We have to do something, Zac," I cry and he reaches out, pulling me against his chest. I grip onto his top, desperate to have him close, squeezing my eyes shut as he holds me tight.

"We will," he assures me. "This has gone on way too long."

"They... they killed him," I reply and he grabs onto my head, pulling me back to look at him. "They killed her husband," I add hoarsely. "Germain..."