Chapter 55

Anna curses out loud as she grabs onto my hand, attempting to guide us both to cover

Anna curses out loud as she grabs onto my hand, attempting to guide us both to cover. Every so often she glances back, shooting her gun in their direction. Suddenly, she hesitates and I wrench myself free, whirling back around and instantly spotting the incessant Enforcer who is aiming directly for us. Ripping a knife out of my belt, I take a deep breath, steadying my feet before launching it towards him with a cry. Surprise fills me as I hit the target, and I watch as the man slowly falls to the ground.

"Emilia," Anna yells and I tear myself back to reality, throwing myself behind the brick wall where the brunette has hidden herself.

"I got him," I mutter and she nods. Despite our attempts the gunfire is not diminishing. I can see Heidi and Sam shooting from across the yard, both safe behind a large disposal truck. Anna takes a deep breath, standing and turning, unloading a round of bullets before she slouches back beside me.

"I got one too," she says and I roll my eyes.

"It's not a fucking competition."

"It should be," she retorts with a playful smile. Standing up once more, she instantly pulls down on the trigger. With a roll of my eyes, I cock my own gun, getting up and rapidly shooting at two Enforcers across the yard.

As I'm reloading, the sound of gunfire suddenly ends, the last shot echoing through the dark night. I glance around, my eyes wide and my breathing unsteady, surprised there's not another enemy in sight. Slowly, Zac emerges from behind a large rubbish bin, Riley next to him, both of them looking around warily.

"Let's go," Zac calls out. Jordan and Kieran suddenly emerge from near Heidi and Sam, all of us regrouping in the middle of the yard. "We don't have long," he continues. "That isn't going to be the last of them."

"We're close to the gate," Kieran replies, glancing down at the paper in his hands.

"Kieran, you lead us to the wall. Riley and Anna, you stay close beside him," Zac orders, all of them nodding as we swiftly disappear back into the shadows at the edge of the buildings. I find myself right behind Zac and he glances back at me almost instantly. "Are you okay?" he asks softly and I nod, smiling.

"I am."

"Good, I was worri-"

"It's down here," Kieran exclaims, pointing towards a tiny gap between two of the tall, ominous looking buildings. Riley nods, cocking his gun and edging between the structures, Anna following him before Kieran and Jordan disappear with them. Zac urges Sam and Heidi to venture into the small alleyway before he gently grabs my arm and hauls me in front of him so that he can follow last.

As we reach the back of the buildings, the space opens up and suddenly we are right in front of the goddamn wall, staring up at it in pure disbelief. It's absolutely fucking massive, towering over us like the freaking gates to Heaven. What the fuck?