Chapter 27

"Emilia?" Claudia calls out my name the second she walks into the big Victorian house, quickly seeking me out in the large, relatively empty living room, her eyes wide

"Emilia?" Claudia calls out my name the second she walks into the big Victorian house, quickly seeking me out in the large, relatively empty living room, her eyes wide. "Emilia!"

"Claudia," I reply, standing up from the couch before she pulls me into a quick hug.

"What were you thinking?"

"That my husband is being tortured every day," I retort with a shrug, shrinking back down onto the seat behind me. "I still want to go. And then, to top it all off, I'll hunt down Germain and kill her."

"We aren't going to Killmoor," Jordan replies, shaking his head as I roll my eyes.

"Why the fuck not?" I snap, readying myself for the same argument as earlier.

"Because we'll all be killed before even approaching the front gate," he argues and I grimace, slouching back.

"He's right, Em," Claudia says softly. "I know you want to help Zac, but this isn't the way."

"What else can I do?" I exclaim. "Sit here, eat, drink and laugh, all whilst he can't?"

"Of course not," Claudia replies, reaching over and pushing a strand of hair away from my face. "But Killmoor isn't the answer. It's a suicide mission." She pauses. "And then Zac would kill us all."

"So, you all know Zac?" I ask, looking over at the quiet Anna, Bridget and Kieran.

"Yeah." Bridget nods, a smile on her face.

"We spend a lot of time here," Claudia admits, gesturing to the walls around us. "It's like our safe house."

"Safe house?"

"I'll tell you whatever you want to know about Killmoor," Jordan says, stepping forward with an exhausted look on his face.

"Jord!"

"Claudia, she has the right to know." He shakes his head at his girlfriend before she hesitantly nods, moving to sit beside me. "It's as bad as you've heard," he tells me.

It's as bad as I've heard.

"There's no way in?" I ask in a small voice.

"The Enforcers at Killmoor are double what they have in Nottingham. They have an electric fence around it, along with Enforcers on constant lookout," he explains. "They placed concrete along the foundations to stop anyone from being able to dig out. Or in."

"The prisoners...?" I trail off, choking slightly on my words as I look down at my lap.

"They're in cells."

"And?"

"Em..." Claudia begs me to stop with her eyes.

"Tell me more!" I demand, looking up at Jordan through blurred vision.