Chapter 39

"Kayla?" I call out as I enter the room

"Kayla?" I call out as I enter the room. Her back is facing me as she pours over the table that Bridget usually sits at.

"Hey," she replies without turning. I make my way over, eyeing the gun that she is putting back together in front of her.

"How are you?" I ask and she shrugs.

"Keeping myself busy," she mutters.

"Kay-"

"I haven't had a drink today," she cuts me off, looking up and meeting my eyes. "So, you don't have to judge me."

I purse my lips, pulling the chair out beside her and sliding onto it. "I wouldn't blame you for having a drink," I retort. "And there's definitely no judgement coming from me."

"Really?"

"Let's just say, when you and Zac were in the prison I went through a lot of alcohol," I explain and she raises an eyebrow. "It doesn't help."

"I know." She shrugs. "It gets rid of the pain for a bit though."

"It does," I agree, both of us descending into silence as I watch her work with the metal in front of her, eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

"He's scared you know," Kayla says suddenly.

"Who?" I reply. "Zac?"

"Yeah." She nods. "He's as scared as I am. What we went through..." She trails off, shaking her head. "He's struggling with it like I am."

"I thought as much," I say quietly. "He doesn't let me in though."

"He's afraid to," she retorts. "Plus, he's a guy. They aren't very good at sharing their feelings."

"I don't know what else I can do."

"Just be there for him," Kayla replies with a smile. "One day he's bound to give in."

"You think?"

"That man may be determined to deny his feelings for you." She scoffs. "But he can't do it forever."

I smile at her answer, unable to stop the warm feeling of hope that floods my chest. I never thought those words would cause such an emotion to stir within me. Zac and I agreed to be nothing more than sex, no feelings or attachments resulting from it.

I don't know what to do. Every time he leaves my sight I panic, each time he's near I get butterflies, whenever I look at his body I want to jump him. If his eyes meet mine I feel my heart skip a beat, happiness filling me from the idea that his attention is on me, and only me.

What the fuck is wrong with me? How do I turn these feelings off? This wasn't supposed to happen, it was never meant to end up this way. Zac would hate me if he knew.

"I need to go and see Heidi," I say softly and she nods, turning back to her gun.

"She's in the basement."