Chapter 28

"No!" I retort, shaking my head at Claudia

"Em?"

Grimacing at her worried expression, I lower my voice, not wanting to admit anything that Anna might overhear. "I haven't been with anyone for over a month. And Zac and I have never..."

"Oh," she replies. "I mean... you could still..."

"I used protection Claudia." I force a smile. "Trust me, I'm not."

"Will you... do a test to make sure?"

"It seems pretty pointless but if you want me to, then yeah."

"Thank you," she replies. I look away, walking straight back to the living room.

"You okay, Emilia?" Jordan asks.

"Good as new," I confirm, crossing my arms and shooting him a small grin. "So, what are you guys looking into at the moment?"

"Honestly, it's all kind of dried up since Zac's been gone," Kieran admits, slouching down onto the chair behind him.

"We're biding our time," Bridget corrects him. "We all come here to escape the real world."

"I'm going out," Princess Petty suddenly snaps before whirling around, the door slamming only moments later.

"I'm sorry about her-" Claudia begins.

"Don't." I cut her off. "It's Zac who should be apologising for her. Not you." I smile as she nods slightly.

"So, Em?" Bridget exclaims. "Thank you for driving the vermin out." She giggles. "Tell us more about yourself!"

"Really?" I reply, eyes wide as Kieran pats the seat beside him, gesturing for me to sit.

"Tell us all about Emilia Hastings." Bridget grins. "I want to know about our new friend."

Friend? I'm not sure Zac is going to be too impressed.

*~*~*

It's sunset the following Friday when I pull my front door shut behind me. Turning away, I'm surprised as Heidi and Sam pop up in front of me.

"Hey!" I exclaim.

"Mils!"

"Are you okay?" Heidi asks. "We haven't seen you much the last week."

"I'm fine." I smile reassuringly. "I've been spending time with Claudia and Jordan, running and exercising..." I trail off at Sam's disbelieving expression. "Exercise releases endorphins. It's helping me."

"Oh!" Heidi exclaims. "That's good. I miss you."

"I miss you too!" I smile, reaching out and pulling her in for a hug. "I said I'd go for a run with Jordan this evening, but should I come over tomorrow?"