Chapter 15

Waking up the next morning, I turn over and immediately grimace at the sight of the sun blaring through the thin, dreary curtains

Waking up the next morning, I turn over and immediately grimace at the sight of the sun blaring through the thin, dreary curtains. Slowly getting up, I reach over and grab onto them, yanking them open and smiling at the feel of the June sun on my face.

Turning around, I pick up the only Summer dress I own from the floor, pulling my pyjama top off and replacing it with the blue fabric. I'm halfway through brushing my hair before I remember what happened the night before, immediately dropping the brush and letting out a stream of curses.

Did Zac leave? Or is he still downstairs?

I'm ashamed to admit how much seeing him and Kayla together affected me, the sharp stabbing pain that erupted through my chest nearly causing me to keel over. I barely even know the guy, why the hell is he even affecting me? These State orchestrated marriages fuck with your head, that's for sure.

Grabbing hold of a hair tie from the side, I quickly sweep my hair up and away from my face before grabbing onto the door handle and mentally talking myself into going downstairs. You can face him, you don't even need to say one word to him. There's a ninety-nine percent chance he's already left anyway.

Why are you even stressing? He leaves for days on end, no explanation as to when he'll be back, so why the hell would he have stuck around last night?

Grabbing onto the stair rail with one hand, I smooth my dress down with the other before slowly making my way down, heart hammering against my rib cage, frustration rising within me at my body's actions.

I'm pissed off about what happened, and I'm annoyed about how he tried to lie his way out of it afterwards. Like that arrogant player was really going to resist something with a vagina. Next joke, please!

Reaching the bottom of the stairs I glance around, a surge of relief tinged with disappointment flooding through me as I realise he's gone. At least I don't have to deal with anymore arguing today.

Walking into the kitchen, I pull the cupboard open, grabbing onto a box of Cornflakes and pouring myself a generous bowl before adding the milk. Sitting down at the table I begin to munch on my breakfast, unsure of what to do with my day off.

I used to be grateful for the free days, spending the time curled up with Heidi, Rayden or Sam. Ever since I moved here I tend to spend them alone, re-reading the same three books over and over again. There's only so many times The Woman in Black can creep you out.

A week ago, I decided to go for a walk instead, only making it five minutes before I spotted an Enforcer headed my way. I want to give them no reason to notice me or remember my face, intent on blending into the background so that Germain forgets that I exist, so I decided to retreat back to these harrowing, lonely walls, spending the rest of the day counting the number of ceiling tiles we have in the bathroom.

Still, at least I get double the amount of rations with Zac gone. It's more than I was ever allowed at the Girls' house, and you're damn right if you think I make the most of it, devouring every biscuit, savouring every slice of bread. It's the little things that make me happy. What I wouldn't do to have a slice of cake one of these days...