Chapter 41

"Mils, can you stop pacing?" Heidi asks softly

I shake my head, ignoring her. I've not stopped circling the room for three hours, biting my nails right down to the quick.

You know when you're excited and your stomach fills with excited butterflies? Mine is the complete opposite, the butterflies more like tiny knives, jabbing into my stomach and making me feel sick. 

From the moment Zac and the others left us behind I felt like there was something missing, an ache in my chest, panic causing a lump in my throat that cannot be swallowed.

What if they don't make it back? Anything could go wrong... we sent all of them right into the Devil's lair. How the hell do we expect them to get out? Can they all really climb up and over that huge wall? The Enforcers have double the amount of weapons, triple the ammunition, four times the manpower. We're fucking screwed.

"Seriously, Emilia!" Kayla snaps from her seat. "Stop!"

"No!" I retort.

The sudden slam of the front door has me flying into the kitchen in time to see Claudia and Jordan enter, relief filling me as Kieran follows. They made it.

"You're back!" Sam exclaims, entering the room behind me.

"We are," Claudia confirms with a smile as Anna walks into the room. 

"Where is-" I'm cut off by the image of Zac's head appearing in the doorway before he looks up, his brown eyes meeting mine. "Zac!" I exclaim.

I take no time hesitating or considering what I'm doing, instead throwing myself at him, his arms immediately curling around me, pulling me tight against his chest.

They made it.

The State is going down.

*~*~*

Over the next two months, the group throws themselves into action, a new building being torched or raided each week.

We come up with new ways to set them alight, Anna secretly smuggling alcohol every other week from the State's headquarters where she works. They drink so much of the stuff that she assured us she wouldn't get caught. Zac, on the other hand, had to take a break from stealing petrol once our initial successful mission.

The State combed the street for three weeks looking for the perpetrators but eventually gave up, unable to prove that anyone was lying when they said they were home the entire evening. 

Despite that, a handful of us have been left behind on every attack since, attempting to keep at least half of us safe.

I haven't been allowed to join them, Zac and I having had a ridiculous number of screaming matches over the last month over whether I'm competent enough. It's only this week that I finally wore him down and he caved, allowing me to take part in the efforts tonight.