Chapter 9

What is wrong with me? Why the fuck did I kiss her?

In that moment I forgot everything, forgot who she was, forgot my principles, forgot that I dislike her. And you're damn right if you think I regret it.

What's she going to think of me now? That I want to be with her?

She was hurt, she's been relying on me all day to help her, and I got sucked in, everything out of my mind except how needed she makes me feel. I won't be falling for that one again, that's for sure.

I don't feel anything for Emilia. She's a potential ally in the greater war, that's all. I need to keep her on my good side, hoping that she can spread our ideals to the younger, newer generation. The only way we're going to get any change is by expanding our resistance.

The rain is pouring down on me as I walk past the giggling couple in the alleyway, ignoring them as they unashamedly make out against the brick wall.

I could have stayed with Emilia, fucking hell I wanted that kiss to continue, the feel of her soft, plump lips on my own almost had me falling to my knees and worshipping her body.

Enough, Zac. She's a fucking girl, they're all the same. There is nothing special about Emilia.

Finally striding up the stairs to the abandoned house, I shove the door open and walk in, ignoring the instant hostility, the gun that rises to meet me.

"It's Zac, you idiot," I exclaim at Kieran, watching as he lowers his weapon.

"You can't be too careful man," he replies. "You alright?"

"Fine," I retort, walking over to the counter and pulling out a loaf of bread. "Who's here?"

"Jordan and Claudia went home," he says. "Something about a State inspection tomorrow. Anna is upstairs and Bridget is down in the basement."

"Did they get anything today?" I ask and he shakes his head as I bite into my hastily made cheese sandwich.

"The truck was heavily guarded," Kieran explains. "They couldn't get near it."

"Guarded?" I raise my eyebrows, surprised. "They never guard my truck. I wonder what they were transporting."

"We were wondering the same." He nods his head.

"I'm working tomorrow," I say. "I'll see if anyone has heard anything."

"Good." He grins. "How's Emilia?"

"Emilia?" I raise an eyebrow at his words. Has he heard something?

"You went home last night? I assumed it was to see her."

"It was to fool the State that I'm there, Kieran." I scoff. "Nothing more."

"Oh," he replies, watching as I continue to eat.