Chapter 16

"What?" Emilia exclaims, eyes wide, confusion evident in her features

"I'm from London," I reply, attempting to explain myself.

"How did you...?" She trails off, clearly trying to figure out how I got stuck in this shitty North.

I take a deep breath, looking down at my hands and rubbing them together before I elaborate. "My mum was ill. Gia and I travelled up North to speak to a doctor in Manchester about potential treatment. That was the day the bombs hit," I continue. "We never made it home. Obviously."

"Zac... I'm so sorry-"

"Don't be," I cut her off, shaking my head. "It's in the past."

"I wish people would stop saying that," Emilia moans, rolling her eyes. "Just sweeping what all of us went through under the carpet. It's okay not to be okay."

She's right, it's what everyone does. Jordan never speaks of the death of his ex-fiancée, Kieran and Anna stay quiet about not knowing what happened to their missing parents, Claudia never talks about when her family was killed in front of her by the Enforcers. I'm not okay, not deep down, the pain is still there - not knowing what happened to my mum or baby sister back in London. Not knowing what happened to Gia after she disappeared. But sadly, life fucking goes on.

"I'm okay."

"I don't believe you." She scoffs, shaking her head as she stares at me. I tear my gaze away, feeling her prying eyes attempt to pick me apart and analyse my words.

"I am."

"Your sister could still be out there," she says. "In the countryside maybe?"

"I doubt it," I retort, shaking my head. "The Enforcers would have found her by now anyway. She's long dead."

"Zac..." She tries as I stand up, glancing down at her, the conversation becoming too close for comfort. I'm not one to sit around and talk about my fucking feelings, I'm not a pussy.

"Goodnight, Emilia," I say bluntly, turning away from her.

"Night." Her reply comes out soft, an angelic sound as she calls after me. I nearly halt in my steps and turn back, wanting nothing more than to gather her into my arms and touch her body. That would be a mistake.

I don't stop, instead making my way straight for the uncomfortable black couch that became my bed last night.

*~*~*