Chapter 23

I shut the door behind me, my hair cascading over my shoulders, having escaped from its tight bun, the manual work having been twice as hard the last couple of days

Apparently, as it was my husband who was involved in Kayla's infidelity, Germain decided to instruct Mrs Engleberry that I have to pick up her work as well as my own.

"Hey!" Claudia calls, her head appearing from the doorway to the kitchen. "I made us some pasta!"

"Thanks," I say softly, forcing a smile onto my face. I follow her, my gaze falling on Jordan as soon as I enter the kitchen, him munching his way through the dish in front of him. "Is it nice?" I ask.

"My Claudia can cook." He grins as she shakes her head, reaching over and whacking him around the head with a cloth.

"Here." She hands me a bowl and I slouch down opposite Jordan, digging a fork into the tomato sauce.

"Work okay?" Jordan asks and I shrug.

What can I say? That it's shit? These two haven't left my side since Zac was arrested, not once leaving me alone in the house. They've been incredible, making sure I'm okay every step of the way and I'm not about to make them doubt my wellbeing now. "Fine." I nod.

"I don't believe you." Claudia snorts, shaking her head.

"Any news on Zac?" I ask and Jordan shakes his head.

"Sam said he'll head down to the courthouse tomorrow morning to ask again."

"Okay," I mutter, biting my lip before pushing the pasta around my plate.

"Oh, hell no!" Claudia exclaims. "Not again! You will eat this pasta, girl," she orders, pointing at my bowl.

"I will."

"You're damn right you will," she says. "I'm not getting in shit when Zac gets out because suddenly his wife has dropped ten unnecessary pounds."

I can't help but smile slightly at her words, the idea that Zac would worry about me causing a flurry of warmth to flood through me.

Who am I kidding though? Zac and I weren't even anything before this happened, we've had one morning of fun, a no strings attached arrangement, and yet I'm sitting here mourning him as though we are so much more.

I need to sort myself out, I need to focus on the big picture, which is simply getting Zac and Kayla out of the Cell because they don't deserve to be there.

"How was your work?" I change the subject as I look over at Jordan, curious over the weapons factory on the opposite side of the city. He grimaces, shaking his head.

"It's got very busy all of a sudden. Almost like they are preparing for something." He shoots a knowing looking at Claudia.

"Preparing? Like a war?" I ask.