Chapter 32

It's two weeks after my release before I step foot in the Safe House, now finally able to walk on my own

It's two weeks after my release before I step foot in the Safe House, now finally able to walk on my own. Emilia steps in behind me, shutting the door as I look around at the familiar kitchen. There was absolutely no point arguing with her to stay at home, she's part of this now, whether I like it or not.

The thought of everything that happened whilst I was locked up has me on edge, rage building inside me at the idea that Emilia is now at risk and in danger, all because of the stupid mistake I made with Kayla.

We went to see her three days ago, Kayla and Emilia crying as they hugged, the scar on Kayla's face an obvious giveaway that she'd been treated as poorly as I. Jace and Emilia had cooked dinner as Kayla and I sat in their garden, sharing a bottle of vodka, complete silence between us. We didn't need to talk, we knew what each other had fucking been through, and we accepted that from one another, ignoring the happy chatter coming from our respective spouses in the kitchen.

"Zac!" Bridget exclaims as she barrels into the kitchen, throwing her arms around my neck as Emilia smiles.

"Hey," I reply, as she steps back.

"I'm glad you're okay." She smiles and I grin, wrapping my arm around her shoulder.

"If anyone is going to kill me, it won't be the fucking Enforcers," I retort, leading her into the next room. Kieran looks up as I enter, nodding in greeting.

"Zac, it's good to have you back."

"Good to be back," I retort, slouching down in the chair beside him. "Fill me in on what I've missed."

"Over the entire month?" Bridget snorts. "That'll take all day. Did you see Em's tattoos?"

"Yes," I snap as Emilia raises an eyebrow, pulling a chair out across the other side of the table. "Remind me to kill you later."

Bridget grins. "I tried to tell her no!" She raises her hands in surrender as she looks to Emilia.

"Is Jordan at work?" I ask Kieran and he nods.

"Him, Claudia and Anna."

"Alright." I nod. "What's this?" I pick up the sheet of paper in front of me.

"Another missing person," Bridget mutters, my eyes trailing over the image.

"William Alexson," Emilia reads out. "I went to school with him."

"He's twenty?"

"Yeah."

"Married?"

"No."

"No?" I raise an eyebrow. "What's the updated ratio of single to married so far?" I ask and Bridget turns to the board, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Five married, twenty six single."

"They're determined to cling onto their married population." Emilia scoffs, sitting forward in her chair.

"They are," I agree, throwing the paper down.