Chapter 7

"You," I snap back at Zac, clutching my hands to my body as he scans me up and down, clear confusion mixed with another emotion I can't quite place running through his eyes

"You," I snap back at Zac, clutching my hands to my body as he scans me up and down, clear confusion mixed with another emotion I can't quite place running through his eyes. If I didn't know him better I'd say it was worry. Good one, Emilia.

"What?"

"You happened to me," I repeat.

"The fuck is that supposed to mean?" he retorts, shooting me a glare.

"You asked what happened to me." I spit out. "I got taken to the cell for twenty-four hours because they found your discarded envelope in the street."

"Fuck." His eyes widen in realisation. "Emilia-"

"Don't." I hold up my hand, urging him to stop talking, not wanting to hear his mocking apology. He doesn't care.

"I didn't even think-"

"The rules were in it," I cut him off with a blunt tone. "Rule number six, you are equally responsible for everything your partner does."

"I... I didn't know that one," he admits, a look of regret appearing on his face.

"Of course you didn't," I reply. "Because you fucking threw them away." I smirk, lifting my arms as I point towards him. "Ow!" I hiss, quickly lowering them as pain jolts from wrist to elbow.

"Emilia..." Zac strides towards me, reaching out.

"Don't touch me!" I snap, backing away from him. He did this to me.

"You can be as fucking pissed at me as you want," he says, stepping closer despite my words. "I don't care. You're hurting."

"And who's fault is that?"

"I'm sorry..."

"Sorry?" I scoff. "Have you ever been in there before?"

"No."

"No?" My eyes nearly fall out of their sockets in shock. "How? You literally break every rule going!"

"You have to be discreet," he says, stepping back. "Fucking someone's husband at a party? Not discreet."

"For the last time, I didn't fuck him!" I raise my voice as I yell back at him. Why is that so damn hard to believe?

"Alright, but you did something with him though," Zac retorts and I falter, lowering my head.

"Maybe," I admit before pushing against him and attempting to walk past. "Ahh!" I unintentionally exclaim as his body connects with my hip, my hands falling to clutch it as my body aches, the bruising inflicted on me now becoming more apparent.

"What did they fucking do to you?" Zac snaps, grabbing onto my top and wrenching it up slightly, both of our eyes falling onto the dark mark that is forming on my hip. "Tell me what they did, Emilia!" he orders, reaching up and grabbing hold of the unwounded side of my face.