Chapter 49

Turning around, I look up at the Safe House, almost heartbroken to be leaving it

This was the place that Zac always saw as his home.

It's where Kieran brought me after he saved my life.

The building is where I first met Bridget and Anna.

It acted as a home to Kayla after she went into hiding, a place I always knew would keep us safe.

The Enforcers are quickly closing in, searching and ripping apart every single building that they come across, one by one. Only this morning, Riley noticed them two streets away. It's time to leave.

As soon as the sun begins to set, we all headed out. The house has been cleared of any evidence that we were ever there, backpacks loaded onto each of our backs, full of supplies and weapons.

Jordan, Kieran, Riley and Zac all carry the make do coffin between them. It's been over a week since she died and she should have been buried already... yet Jordan couldn't bear to leave her alone in the city. Claudia wanted to be free in the countryside, and that's where she'll be laid to rest.

If you had told me seven months ago I'd be part of a resistance movement, I would have laughed my head off. Sure, I always hated the State, but I never had the balls to do anything about it.

But now I've lost friends and loved ones, people that I assumed would be in my life forever.

This last month has been hard without Rayden. He was someone I could always talk to, someone who understood me and knew exactly how I was feeling.

The loss of Claudia still weighs on my chest. She was the best friend I never knew I needed, the older girl who made it her mission to make sure everyone was okay.

Everyone who was responsible for their deaths deserve to die.

You better believe I'm going to make them pay. And Gia?

That bitch is going to wish she was never even fucking born.

*~*~*

Approaching the edge of the city, we luck out. A truck full of Enforcers is heading our way, straight past one of the old University campuses.

A plan doesn't even need to be formed, all of us already in sync enough to act on the spot. Kayla and I hand our guns to Anna before we walk into the middle of the road, the rest of the group hiding in the trees.

"Do you think this will work?" Kayla asks and I shrug as we continue to step across the road.

"I don't know a fucking thing anymore," I retort. "If we die..."

"We die," Kayla finishes my sentence. "Jace is waiting for me."

"You liked him more than you let on, didn't you?"