Chapter 29

My heart is racing as Claudia continues to watch the clock on the wall

My heart is racing as Claudia continues to watch the clock on the wall. I struggle to swallow the immovable lump in my throat, clutching tightly to the plastic stick I've just peed on.

I've never felt more sick than I do right now, Claudia having marched me straight to the toilet as soon as I stepped foot in the house, finally producing a pregnancy test from her pocket and forcing it into my hand.

I wish I'd had sex with Zac. If so, I know I wouldn't be feeling so fucking shit about all this. Just imagine, Zac gets out of prison to find me carrying another man's baby. I can't even think about it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be pregnant. Zac and I aren't even together, a baby would complicate everything, yet if it were his everything would be simpler.

He's going to leave me the minute he finds out and I won't blame him. I can't. I'd be the same if he knocked someone up. We aren't even together, but a baby still changes everything. The final nail in the coffin.

I don't understand why I'm so bothered, Zac and I are merely strangers who have been shoved together, accepting each other for the sake of staying alive and taking advantage of that in the form of sexual favours. So why does having a child with Rayden fill me with such dread? Why do I want to cry my eyes out, throw myself into Zac's arms and beg him to forgive me? Why am I falling apart?

"It's time," Claudia mutters, gaze flitting from the clock to me. I hesitantly nod, bile rising in my throat at her words.

It's time.

Time to find out my fate, to know if Zac is going to throw me aside, to see whether I'm going to be lynched by the State. If it's positive, I'll protect my baby until my dying breath. Slowly, I look down at the test, not willing to drag this out any longer.

The tiny markings cause my stomach to flip, my head attempting to process the result. I'm unable to breathe, my entire body frozen in panic as I hear the blood pulse through my ears. No fucking way.

"See?" I say, chucking the test at Claudia. "Negative."

"I just wanted to be sure!"

"Well, now we are," I reply, staring wide eyed into the mirror above the sink. It's all okay.

"Are you okay?"

I don't know. "Yeah," I retort. "It's a relief."

"Your time will come, Em." She smiles, turning and dropping the stick into the bin beside her. "How are your tattoos? You don't regret them?"

I shake my head. "I like them more and more every day."

"Let's hope Zac feels the same."

"Look what the cat dragged in." Anna's voice sounds from across the kitchen and I grimace before turning.