Chapter 51

Two days after we discovered that there's a damn magical gate in the wall we find ourselves pouring over new documents

Yesterday, Zac, Kieran and Riley travelled back to Nottingham in the dead of the night to steal more paperwork in an attempt to help us learn how to escape this hellish place.

I spent over an hour yesterday arguing with Zac that he shouldn't go. He obtained the upper hand by distracting me with sex before disappearing as soon as I fell asleep. He returned before I even woke up, armed with a new stack of supposedly helpful documents.

The only thing that stopped me losing my fuse and ripping into my husband is the fact that I'm so fucking fed up of being here. Plus, he came back in one piece, proud that he only had to kill three Enforcers who were in his way. Such is life, Emilia.

"What do you mean you know someone?" Zac suddenly yells from the other room. Sam, Kayla and I all jump at the sound, before suddenly my husband appears in the kitchen doorway, Anna hot on his heels. Why are they always together at the moment?

"Exactly what I said," Anna retorts. "There was an Enforcer back at Germain's headquarters who liked me. He was reassigned to the wall." Whoa, what?

"I don't understand your point?"

"He liked me," Anna explains. "Really liked me! If I can find him, I can get information."

"As if." Jordan scoffs from the opposite corner of the kitchen, a can of food in his hand before he leaves. I fight the urge to follow him, knowing that today, like every other day, he wants to be alone, not willing to let anyone into his head apart from Zac and Kieran.

"It's true!"

"You can't trust an Enforcer," Sam pipes up from beside me. "He'll rat us out."

"He didn't even want to be one."

"No way." Zac shakes his head. "We'll do this on our own."

"Don't you get it? He could tell us everything we need to know about getting inside the wall!"

"I said no, Anna!"

"So?" Anna snaps at Zac, stepping closer. "You don't fucking rule over me," she yells before storming towards the stairs, her feet pounding against them as she disappears up to one of the bedrooms.

"It's a bad idea," Zac says softly, his brown eyes finding mine, seeking reassurance.

"I know," I reply, nodding at him.

"We all know," Kayla mutters. "Enforcers can't be trusted. Even if she is in love with one of them."

"Anna in love? Good one!" Sam smirks, before his gaze returns to the paper in front of him. I notice Zac's eyes flicker briefly to Sam before they find mine once more. He grabs the chair in front of him, slowly sitting across from us.