Chapter 54

It takes less than an hour to drive to the woodland where we had planned to split into two groups

It takes less than an hour to drive to the woodland where we had planned to split into two groups. Riley pulls behind me in the second truck. He's used the time to teach Kayla how to drive it, ready for the moment we have to go in our different directions.

The sun had now completely set, leaving us under a blanket of darkness. Thankfully, we didn't come across any other vehicles along the way. We've made it this far, but I have no idea how much further we'll get with our mediocre fucking plan.

Turning the engine off, I shove the door open and step out. Jordan follows me instantly. The others pour out the back, a certain blonde catching my eye, distracting me. I want nothing more than to pull her against me and lay a kiss on her lips, grateful that we've made it this far.

I ignore the urge, instead turning to Kayla and Riley as they jump out of the truck we managed to swipe from a lonesome guard just five miles from the farmhouse. 

"Do you know what you're doing?" I ask Kayla, gesturing towards the vehicle. She shrugs before grinning.

"I'm sure we'll find out." She smirks. "Riley is a pretty shit teacher."

"I am not," he objects with an eye roll. "She didn't even know how to use the gear stick."

"Maybe because the war came along when I was fifteen," she retorts. "I couldn't exactly drive around the streets of Nottingham before that, could I?"

"Alright," I interrupt them, both of them shooting death glares at each other. Fucking hell, I'm supposed to get us out of here and they're just fucking prancing around in some sort of flirty game. "You know where you're headed, Kayla?"

"Yes," she confirms, pointing across at Riley's friend and the girl beside him. "Carl and Lyla are going to direct me."

"If you stay away from the main roads you shouldn't come across anyone," Riley pipes up.

"No shit, Sherlock." Kayla rolls her eyes.

"Good luck, idiot," he snaps back.

"You too, dickweed."

"Are you done?" I ask as Riley storms back towards the other truck.

"Sure." Kayla shrugs.

"If there's any sign of anyone then don't go in there-"

"Zac," Kayla interrupts. "We know what we have to do. Don't worry about us."

"I do," I admit, smirking as I fold the map and hand it to her.

"Emilia really has made you go soft." She grins. "I remember how you were before this. Claudia used to tell me all about what a fuckboy you were."

"Alright, Kayla." I roll my eyes. "We need to go."

"Okay." She smiles before turning to Lyla and Carl. "Get the others and get in the truck," she instructs them before turning back to me as they walk off. "I never thought this would be us. Not even when I was lying alone in that blasted cell at Kilmoor."