Chapter 30

The prison guards grab onto me harshly, yanking me up from the hard wooden seat that I've been sitting on for what feels like hours

The prison guards grab onto me harshly, yanking me up from the hard wooden seat that I've been sitting on for what feels like hours. Kayla was dragged away a while back, the broken state of her causing anger to course through me.

I haven't seen her, or anyone except for the same few Enforcers since being locked away, instead cooped up in my own fucking hellhole and subjected to unbearable obscenities and incalculable torture. Germain had popped in twice, staring at me through the bars with a fucked up smirk on her face. I didn't even have the energy to spit at her or reach through the bars to grab onto her neck.

The days merge into one, the amount of sleep that I've received minimal, instead chained to the wall every time I dare to doze off. Sometimes they blare the siren to startle us all awake, the screams and yells from other cells echoing right through to my bones.

Today the Enforcers had poured into my cell, three of them lifting me up before injecting me with a sedative.

I woke up on this very chair, completely unclear on what I'm doing here. I'm not sure I even care. Is it a new form of torture? What the fuck do they have planned here? The light from the window is the first sliver of daylight I've seen in forever, the bright glare hurting my tired eyes.

The door at the end of the room is suddenly wrenched open, four Enforcers walking back through, their eyes pinned on me as I tense up.

"Let's go, Hastings," one of them snaps, every Enforcer hauling me upright and forcing me out the room, down the airy corridor towards another open doorway that's bathed in light.

"You said you'd let him go!" a sudden familiar yell has my head shooting upright, eyes fixed on the white light up ahead. Emilia? She's here? Why? Didn't she stay out of trouble?

"Why is she here?" I snap, beginning to struggle against the Enforcers, far weaker than I've ever been before.

"Stop struggling unless you want to go back to Killmoor!" the man orders, pulling out his baton and raising it above his head.

"Let her go!" I hiss back, shooting my arm sideways into the Enforcer on my right. He instantly doubles over as the others attempt to restrain me.

"She's here to meet you, Hastings," the other Enforcer retorts. "Your month is up." The words hit me like a tonne of bricks, my legs giving way beneath me, the Enforcers struggling to hold me up. I'm... I'm finally fucking free?

"I'm done?" I whisper, eyes wide.

"Yeah," he snaps. "Now move!"

With that I'm yanked back onto my feet and I stumble as they pull me towards the doors, their harsh grip barely even bothering me following the sheer amount of bruising and bleeding I've experienced over the last month.

One final step and I'm outside, blinking against the ridiculously bright sun, the Enforcers crowding around me as one places a key in the cuffs, my hands having been freed only twice the entire time I've been locked up.