Chapter 9 - Keefe

(A/N 115 views guys!!! That makes me so happy! You guys are amazing, thank you so much for all the comments :D)

Sophie sat beside me on my cot as the councilors and collective continued asking Jolie a million questions. Her stress wafted off her so strong I felt the urge to yell or scream at something. How did she do this?

"Hey, you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. It's just been a long day and I haven't had much sleep since you went into a coma. And honestly, I don't even know what Im doing anymore. I mean, its great, your awake and Jolies alive. But what are the Neverseens plans? We're always five steps behind them, we never know there plans and I'm sick of it. I just want to win for once." Her shoulders slumped. 

I reached fr her hand, pulling of her glove. "Hey. We will win, sure it might take some time, but we will. And despite how much we've lost, we've gained some to. They are trying to bring our spirits down, but we ant let them. We have to win, and we will." I held onto her hand sending a calming breeze. The worry lines on Sophies forehead lessened, and she nodded.

"It's just so hard. Trying to hold onto hope that we could win." She sighed, "How do you do it, Keefe? Knowing you could be killed any day now? And yet your still calm."

"Trust me, Foster. I am anything but calm. Why do you think I joke so much? It's my way of escaping and pretending everything is fine." I shrugged, looking at her hands. 

"Maybe I should try it some time." 

"Uh, pretty sure Grady would die if he had a little Keefe jr. running around his house. But hey, I'm all in for having a little apprentice." I laughed. Sophie rolled her eyes then leaned against my chest. For a moment I froze, remembering my promise to Alden. But I relaxed, letting myself smile at the comfort of her. Screw my promise, Sophie would be the one to choose. Not me, not Fitz and certainly not Alden. She would choose if she wanted Fitz or me, I wouldn't try to change that but I couldn't push her away any more. If she was in love with Fitz, so be it. But I had to savor the few moments I got with her, and hope that maybe someday she would see what was right infront of her. 

I rested my cheek on the top of her head, listening to her softly breathing. Soon, I fell asleep with more hope then I had had for months.