Chapter 39 - Keefe

"We need to go back." Tam crossed his arms, daring anyone to tell him he was wrong.

"Uh, what?" I asked, staring at him like he was someone else. Linhs planting was yesterday, and Tam had asked for us to meet today. Sophie, Biana, Dex, Fitz, and even  Wylie had come. Oh yeah, and Stina. Fun. Glimmer was nowhere to be seen. 

"Kenric may still be back there. If we could somehow deflect the light, we can get to him." He shrugged, as if it made all the sense in the world.

"Tams right." Wylie said from a corner." Linh would have wanted us to continue searching anyways."

"Uh, they might have other traps in there." I tried. "Shouldn't we, like, try to figure out what else they have in store first?" I asked incredulously. Since when was I the sensible one? Something had to be possessing everyone else.

"Theres no better way to figure out what it is then being there." Tam argued.

"He's right, Keefe. We don't have time to try and figure it all out, and chances are we wouldn't either way." Sophie turned to me. I thought about it for a moment.

If I agreed to this, I was practically planning my own funeral. 

But like Forkle said, there was no way to change the future. But we could certainly try.

"Fine." I took a deep breath, "Under two conditions. One, you don't go." I said to Sophie, her mouth dropped open and she looked about ready to inflict. "Two, Tammy boy stays behind as well." 

Everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

"What's up with you? I thought you were the trouble boy of the group, not the type of guy who would order who stays and who gos." Stina said, raising her eyebrow curiously.

"I'm just doing what I think is best." I said. 

After about an hour and a half, we figured out who was going and who wasn't. Tam, Sophie, Fitz and Biana would stay. Wylie would come to deflect the light, Dex would come to undo any other trap there was. I would go to help Kenric with his emotion. Chance was, while he was with the Neverseen he had gone through some emotionally damaging stuff. Knowing his emotions would help. 

I knew this could be a death trap, but at least Sophie wouldn't see. I didn't care if she was in the stupid prophecy. I wouldn't let her see.

***

I put two more throwing stars into the hidden pocket in my boot. I looked up when Sophie walked into the room, and stood. 

"Keefe, why don't you want me to come?" She asked, taking a few steps towards me. "I know you. There has to be a reason."

"You go on every mission, Foster. I think your forgetting that we can do things for you. You don't need to be the perfect Moonlark who does everything. I figured for once we could do something big without you." I hesitated for a moment, then continued. "Your strong, Sophie. But you cant carry the entire world on your own." I reached for her hands. 

"Thats not the only reason Keefe. I know you." 

I shrugged. "It doesn't matter, Foster."

"Yes, it does Keefe. If your planning on doing some reckless thing, it does matter. I couldn't live with myself if you got hurt." She looked away. 

"Foster." I waited for her to meet my eyes. "I'll be fine."

"Promise."

"You know I cant-"

"Keefe. Please. Promise you'll come back."

"You don't need to worry, its just a small mission." I tightened my grip on her hands. 

She suddenly through her rms around my neck, pulling me into a tight hug. "Then why do I have such a bad feeling about it?" She whispered into my shoulder. I hesitated barely a moment before wrapping my arms around her waist. 

We were both silent, neither daring to break it. I jumped back when the door opened, and Dex stood there.

"You comi-" He stopped him self as he noticed us jumping apart from each other. "Am I interrupting something?" He asked with a grin.

Both me and Sophie shook our heads, but he wouldn't listen to our arguments.

"Whatever. But were getting ready to leave." He walked away, working on some sort of dex-ified object. 

"I guess I should go." I said, but didn't move for the door. She nodded, then stopped.

"Wait... Keefe. Before you go..." She hesitated. "Just come back, okay?" 

I don't know what I was thinking.

Perhaps I wasn't.

But when she said that, something snapped inside of me. I leaned forward, kissing her. It was short, but oh was it sweet.

"You don't need to worry about me, Foster."

I know, that was a long chapter with 200 extra words. Also, I know that was the most awkward way to write a kiss ever!  I may be a hopeless romantic, but that doesn't mean I know how to write a kiss...