Chapter 21 - Sophie

Okay, maybe I was eavesdropping. Personally I would prefer the term making sure my friend was okay. By listening to their conversation. And not letting them know until I accidentally stumble in.

My eyes grew wide, and Keefe looked like he was... blushing?

Okay, sure he had told me he loved me earlier that day but the fact that Alden knew? Who else knew? Suddenly I felt very angry. Alden had asked Keefe to stay away from me? From what I gathered he was trying to control my love life in his own way. I crossed my arms and turned my glare over to him.

"Is it true? You asked Keefe to back off?" I asked incredulously. Alden had never struck me as the type of guy to tell another to back off a girl, even if it was for his son. And for some reason it made me furious. I had never been more mad at Alden. Did he really think he could control my life like that? "Please tell me the truth."

Alden took a deep breath before speaking. "Fitz was going through a hard time, I thought if-"

"So you told Keefe to back off. Wow. I  did not think you had that in you." Okay, yeah. Maybe I was being a little harsh, but I had been controlled my entire life. I was sick of it. And now Alden was trying to control my love life too? I could barely believe he would do that. "You know what, I'm done with Fitz. I'm sick of trying to be everything he wants. Even if he tries again, I'm not going back to him. With the relationship we had, things could only end bad. If I keep it going things could end worse then last time. So don't worry about telling other boys to back off of me, Alden. Because either way I'm not going back to Fitz. If he won't give me the time and respect I'm asking for then I can simply let him control me. Imagine the kind of life that would be. Someday I hope Fitz finds happiness. But it won't be with me." I explained, looking at the ground and crossing my arms over myself. 

Alden looked shell shocked. I barely registered as he left the room. Keefe hesitated a moment, he opened his mouth and closed it several times before he could say anything.

"I'm sorry." He said. I shrugged, trying my best to not look into his ice-blue eyes.

I knew why I had been so angry.

Why I had never felt right with Fitz, or even Dex.

When I had heard him talking about it being my choice, suddenly the answer had come to me. 

Don't get me wrong, usually I think things through for ages. But this was something I didn't have to. It was something I should have realized a long time ago.

Something that I shouldn't have pushed away.

But despite all of my efforts to ignore it, I knew it was true.

I wasn't in love with Fitz.

I had fallen in love with Keefe Sencen.