Chapter 37 - Sophie

Three hours.

Three hours since we left Linh to die.

Finding out Mr Forkle knew was like a stab in the heart. 

He knew she would die and he didn't stop it, or even try. Maybe I should have figured it out to, I saw what was in Keefe's prophecy. I knew that somehow that tree with black leaves and silver flowers was important. But I was too caught up in Keefe's wanderling. 

So not only would we loose him. 

We had already lost Linh. 

Guilt tugged at the back of my brain, but I pushed it away. I was staring out at Silveny and Greyfell, my elbow propped on the window frame. Even the twin alicorns seemed to pick up on the mood, as they were sadly grazing by Callas tree. 

We had lost so much. And now Linh was gone too. I think in a way, Wylie was breaking. There relationship had always been something of a mystery to me, but it was obvious they bothered about each other. Tam though, Tam seemed like he had been shattered. Maybe his mind had been in a way. Just like Brant, the emotions caught up with him. Before he left he had a crazy look in his eyes that made me want to hide. It was something I had never seen before in his eyes. 

I jumped when I heard the door to my room open. I looked up, out of my swollen eyes. Keefe stood there, mallow melt in hand. "Hey." I said quietly.

"Hey." He said, walking over to me. He sat close, holding out the mallow melt.

"No thanks." I said. I knew refusing Mallowmelt was unlike me, but I had not appetite. 

"Its not your fault." Keefe said, reaching over and lacing my fingers with his. "You heard what Forkle said. Theres no way to change the future." 

I looked at him, "I just wish we could have saved her." My voice broke. "I'm tired of loosing Keefe. Can't we for once win, without loosing someone? I'm sick of being beaten, of loosing people we love, of being so close and yet so far. I just... I want things to be normal. I want to see the Lost Cities without the Neverseen. I want to see elves without fear in their eyes, and without a worry in the world. Is that so much to ask?" A hot tear slid down my cheek, quickly turning cool. 

Keefe reached up with his free hand, wiping the tear away. "We will win, Foster. You will see the Lost Cities as it should be. I'll make sure of it, even if I die trying." he whispered, it was so rare he was this serious. No jokes, no flirting. Just him. I leaned forward resting my head on his chest. I curled my legs up, closing my eyes. Keefe didn't hesitate to wrap his arms protectively around me. We fell silent for a moment, and I listened to his even breathing.

Even if I die trying.

Thats what he said.

"Keefe?" I whispered, opening my eyes to look up at him.

"Yeah?" He whispered back.

"I don't want you to die." My voice seemed inevitably small. I felt vulnerable, and broken in a way. 

"I don't want to either, Foster. But you heard what Forkle said. We cant change the future." He tightened his hold, and I closed my eyes trying to stop the tears. But they kept coming.

Tears for Linh. Tears for Calla.

For the changed world.

For all that we had lost.

Even for Jolie.

And for Keefe.

Because his death was inevitable.