Chapter 40 - Sophie

He... kissed me. 

Even as he left I sat there, tenderly pressing my fingers to my lips. Still, I could feel his kiss.

It didn't feel like Dex's kiss, or even Fitz. It may have been short, but it was the best first kiss ever. First kiss. What was I thinking? Perhaps hoping...? Hoping that there would be more to come? 

What had this boy done to me? Whatever it was, I liked it.

I jumped when Fitz walked into the room, slamming the door behind him. "Oh, uh, hi Fitz." I stuttered, bringing my fingers down from my lips. "Whats up?" I asked, trying to clear my head.

"I can't believe they left without us. Us! We're co-"

"Cognates. I know. But maybe they have a good reason." I explained. 

Fitz scoffed, "Whatever. Either way, we could've been helpful. But instead they just tossed us aside." He growled, rolling his eyes. I sighed, looking at the ground. My mind went back to the kiss. It was a very short kiss, and very abrupt- but truth be told? I would be okay if it happened again. Fitz was talking, but I wasn't listening. I snapped back to attention when he slammed his fist on a table.

"-They let Tam go but not us?" I stared at Fitz, confused.

"Tam?" I asked. Then I remembered. Keefe hadn't actually promised to come back. And his reaction to certain things... He didn't want Tam there. I knew he hated Tam, but he knew how important Tam could be to a mission. But Keefe had avoided Tam ever since one of his prophecy's. And I knew he hadn't told me the entire prophecy. Becuase he knew how he would die. 

He would die finding Kenric in Candleshade.

And Tam would be the one who killed him. 

Thats why he was so evasive. 

I jumped up, ever since Linh, Tam had become distant and angry. He still considered Linhs death our fault. So he was going to exact his revenge. I ran up the stairs and called out 'Candleshade' to the leap master. I appeared on the grounds of Candleshade, staring at the ominous building.

I raced in, pushing open the doors. I sprinted to the vortinater, and held onto a handle as I was taken to the top floor. I ran out, this time no light ambushed me. I raced down a short hall, opening every door I saw. Finally I reached the last door. I took a deep breath before pushing it open.

I clasped my hands over my mouth as I scanned the room. 

Kenric was in a heap in the furthest corner, seemingly unharmed though his eyes were blank. But that didn't seem to matter in the moment. Becuase Keefe was there, staring at his stomach. Blood was leaking, and his knees gave way. Tam stood above him with a knife in hand, and barely glanced at me before light leaping away.

I almost screamed as I raced to Keefe. I took Panakes petals out of my pockets, forcing them in his mouth and in the wound.

But it was no use. Despite how fast I had tried to come, I was too late.