Chapter 42 - Sophie

I knew it the moment Keefe stopped breathing. His thoughts went silent. His eyes were open, and blankly looking up at the ceiling. I pushed his eyelids gently down, as if that would help. Now he looked like he was peacefully sleeping. 

I stared at him. Tears mindlessly made their way down my cheeks. I felt numb. Like the entire world was ripped away from me. My heart felt as if someone had stollen it and put a knife through it multiple times, then put it back with a few missing pieces. 

Just as I was falling for him, the Neverseen had to take him. 

Wylie and Dex had come in too late. Apparently they had found some secret passage, and explored it. They hailed Elwin, but it was too late. Keefe was gone. No coming back. 

Elwin looked over to Kenric. He hadn't shifted since I had come in. Elwin walked over to tap him on the shoulder. Nothing happened. Not even a blink. He snapped, but frowned when the orange light flashed around Kenrics head. Suddenly he pulled Kenric forward carelessly. somehow, Kenric still stood there but a dummy had come forward instead. It was a strange image, half of the dummy seemed to be inside of Kenric. But now I knew why Kenric hadn't moved and his gaze was empty. This was another one of Vesperas tricks. 

I scowled. 

So Keefe had died for no reason. They hadn't even been able to find Kenric. I almost ran my fingers through my hair but stopped when I saw they were caked in blood.

Keefes blood.

I looked back at Keefe. His body was limp, and deathly pale. Dex made me get up, placing his body on the ground. It made me sick to my stomach, knowing that if I had come a minute sooner he would be joking around with me. The council and collective came to inspect the scene. Each of them looked sick when they saw Keefe's body.

Then Lord Cassius came. 

His knees gave out when he saw his sons body. He sank against the wall, staring at Keefe. His eyes teared up, one single tear slid down his cheek but he quickly wiped it away pulling himself together.

I had never seen as much affection in his eyes as I did now. But Keefe deserved more. Keefe deserved to be alive to see that his father did love him. It made me angry to see Lord Cassius this way. It was him who treated Keefe like a castaway. He was the one who had thrown his own son away.

Elwin made me go home, claiming the next part was something I wouldn't want to see.

When I got to Havenfield Edaline and Grady were waiting for me.

"Hey, kiddo. You okay?"

"I'm fine." I snapped.

"You sure-"

"What do you think?" I finally yelled. "One of my closest friends was just killed by someone we all considered a friend! Oh yeah, and that was right after we figured it out that we were in love with each other! So, you know, I'm doing great! But enough about me, what about you?" I asked sarcastically.

"Sophie-" Edaline started. I stopped her.

"Please. I just need some alone time." I said, not waiting for a response before storming upstairs. I hesitated before sitting on my bed. I stared at Keefe's blood on my hands. I took a deep breath and stood up again. I made my way to the bathroom and washed the blood from my hands.

Sandor watched silently, not daring to stop me from going downstairs and outside to Callas tree. 

I sat down, staring at her tree and pulling up memory of Keefe.

And I cried.

For Calla.

For Kenric.

For Linh.

And now, for Keefe.

Because Keefe was dead.

Ahhhhhhh I am crying so hard you guys. This time believe it or not, I am sorry...