Chapter 10 - Keefe

When I woke up Sophie was on a cot facing me, her hair splayed across her face. For once, she looked peaceful. No worry lines, and the bags under her eyes had lightened. I stared at her, remembering the hope I had felt last night.

Let her choose. The phrase echoed in my mind again and again. Sure, it would be hard to wait. But it would be easier then pushing her away. 

Her eyes slowly opened, her face scrunching up in an adorable way as her eyes adjusted to the light. Even with her messy hair she still looked wonderful. "Hey there Foster."

She jumped, then blinked as she looked a me. "What?" She rubbed her eyes, then tugged her blanket tighter around her.

"Nothing." I said with a smirk. She mumbled something and snuggled closer to Ella, she closed her eyes again. She was obviously exhausted. My smile fell, "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." I didn't have to read emotions to know it was a lie. "Just tired." She said. 

"Great," Elwin said walking in. "Your awake. I wanted to check your vitals, did you have any... dreams?"

"Dreams? Yeah, sure. They were rather strange, you see-" I started but Elwin cut me off.

"I mean nightmares, like Sophie had when her and Fitz were attacked."

"No." Elwin frowned with my answer, "Uh, shouldn't that be a good thing?" 

"Yes, I suppose. The shadow flux used to, eh, spark your new ability must be a different type... I don't really know to be honest. I haven't had much experience with Shadow flux, but with the experience I do have I would have expected you to have some sort of nightmares, or after effect."  Elwin said, flashing orbs around my body. Everything seemed to be fine, but he still insisted on me staying again that night.

"Just wondering, Jolies been supposedly dead for sixteen years, and you let her go home in a few hours when there is still stuff wrong with her, and yet I'm unconscious for sixteen days with nothing wrong in my vitals or whatever and I have to stay?" I ran my fingers through my hair, which was probably a mess. And not my usual bad boy supreme look, more of a I-havent-showered-in-two-and-a-half-weeks-look. And let me tell you, that look messes with my style. The Hair must be perfectly shaped and sculpted, and just thrown together. I was Lord Hunkyhair after all, I couldn't have a coma ruin that for me. 

"That's exactly why you have to stay. It was clear what the problem was with Jolie, with you we don't even know if there is a problem. We're just being safe, and knowing you you would probably manifest your ability and find some way to get yourself hurt. I want to be there in case."  Elwin answered, flashing another color around my eyes. I sighed.

"And what if nothing happens?" 

"Then we wait."