Chapter 29 - Sophie

I swear, if we didn't get anywhere soon I would murder someone. I don't care who, just someone. 

We got no sleep that night, instead reading each and every article and life story. They were surprisingly long for something so ancient. And surprisingly unhelpful. None of the articles had anything to help with the whole seeing the future thing. It was starting to drive me crazy. 

All we could do now was wait for Dex to get some new articles so we could spend another night searching through those hoping for even the smallest glimpse of what Keefe's powers could do. I  was sick of waiting though. Even training didn't seem like it was enough anymore. Nothing did. I felt as if we could be attacked any minute, or be beaten any minute. It was killing me. At least Keefe hadn't had another one of his vision thing. I didn't even know what to call them- visions, prophecys, predictions?

And yet my mind was still on boys somehow. I knew Fitz expected that we would go back to fine, and he would come begging for an apology. Then he would ask for us to get together and stop waiting. I knew him, and he would be tired of waiting. But how was I suppose to tell him I didn't want to be his girlfriend? I didn't like him anymore, at least, not in that way. 

I paced in front of the mirror, glad it wasn't Vertina. Jolie had moved Vertina to her room, and I would be eternally grateful for that. If it was Vertina she would probably make fun of my tousled state. Although, a small part of me was sad to see her go. I finally stopped pacing and stood in front of the mirror. 

Practice makes perfect right?

I didn't care that my bodyguards might hear me, and wonder what was going on. Practicing in front of a mirror was better then saying it for the first time to Fitz's face.

I took a deep breath. What do you say to someone you used to like who now likes you but you don't like them anymore? 

"Listen, Fitz. I don't like you anymore." I shook my head, way to harsh. "Theres someone else." Nope. Thats even worse. I took another deep breath. "I know I told you I liked you, and I still do. Just... not that way. Listen, Fitz, you've been a great friend, and I hope we still can be friends. I hope we can still be cognates, but we cant be anything else. Just friends. Just cognates." I could easily imagine his response. Why? Why did you stop liking me? I sighed, "After our fight I realized... I was in love with someone else." Wow. Way to make a boy feel special Sophie.

"Aww! Who's the special boy?"

I hadn't heard the door open, seeing as I was talking to myself. Ugh. Now Keefe has seen me talking to myself, would he ever stop teasing me about this?

"Keefe!" I yelled as I twisted towards him, my face feeling like Marella had set it on fire.

"Me?" He asked, clearly using my response the wrong way. He came over and slung his arm over my shoulder. "Aw, I love you too, Foster." He suddenly blushed. I almost smiled becuase of his blush, but my own cheeks were heating up way to much. He unslung his arm from my shoulders and crossed his arms awkwardly. "Sorry. I guess I'm still used to you not knowing... you know..." He trailed off.

I tried to shrug it off as no big deal, but from one glimpse in the mirror I could tell my cheeks would tell a different story. 

Then Keefe collapsed. I never thought I would be happy for him to be going unconscious like that.