15

BLAZE

  River's car speeded down the road going towards the small café in the middle of town.

Living in Birmingham was okay...sometimes, I can't really pin point what I don't like about it, I just don't. I used to live in Spain for a year with my family, as my dad had to make the move for work. Now there's a place I love. I probably compared Birmingham to Spain too much.

The music played quietly in the background as the awkwardness seemed to increase. Being around River feels awkward. Like really bad.

He pulled up to an empty spot, parking the car swiftly, and stepping out, with me following.

Glancing around the retro style café, I think of some old memories I had with my mom here. When we used to buy the overly priced milkshakes after school and when we used to have lunch here weekly, just the two of us, where we would talk about everything and anything. I miss that. I miss her.

I found us an empty booth and sat down, him sitting opposite me. No words were spoken for a good five minutes.

Now would be a good time to apologise. I think.

"...I'm sorry for yelling at you the other day...I felt really guilty about it after, like really bad, I didn't mean to yell, I just do that sometimes, especially when I work myself up, and when I need a drink, I need a drink now. I'm sorry..." I ramble, I glance up at him when I hear him chuckle.

Why is he laughing?

No actually, why am I rambling?

What is wrong with me?

"Don't worry, it's all good." He smiled widely.

That smile....

"You going to tell me why you picked this place."

"I haven't been here in a while, that's all." I lie.

"Is that right?" I stares at me, like he knows I'm lying.

Damn he's good

I'm normally a good liar, I can pass a lie off smoothly, somehow he saw right through it.

"There's always a reason Blaze." He says as a waitress walks up to us taking our order.

I order a hot dog with cheesy nachos and a hot chocolate, River orders the same with the coffee.

I mutter a quiet ew as he orders the coffee. I hate it.

"Don't like coffee I'm guessing."

"It's disgusting, really disgusting." I tell him with a grin.

Why am I smiling so much?

"I don't particularly like it either, just helps me not want to run to the nearest store and buy some whiskey." He jokes.

I stare at him. I wish he didn't use the W word. Not right now at least.

Did he used to drink? Makes sense in a way.

"You used to drink?"

"Yeah, I used to." He looked down like he was deep in thought.

The waitress came, placing the food and drink down in front of us. I dive in straight away, devouring the hotdog along with the nachos. After I'd finished my food I glance back up at River who's still only on the hotdog.