26

Mind boggled
Heart throttled
Air dispersed away

Kisses broke
Awkwardness awoke
Conversing about the day

Buried deep
The truth keeps
Light doesn't sway

NARRATOR

    Both Blaze and River were having battles in their minds. They both wanted to kiss one another but knew, deep down, that they couldn't, not yet anyway. They also were trying to think of what to say too each other. They needed to clear whatever awkwardness between them so they can move on.

Contemplating to see River, Blaze grabs her jacket ready to leave. Waiting for Bentley to drive her to his apartment, she taps her foot lightly on the ground in thought. She knew she couldn't avoid the inevitable conversation, even though she wanted nothing more.

River was sitting at his table, head in his hands, thinking about the same conversation. His mother's words ringing in his head. On a constant repeat. He wanted to avoid everything and forget. He didn't want to have a conversation about the near kiss, in fear that it would ruin whatever they had right now.

The moonlit pavement shines, and a glow of white light is shared between the two, even though they are far away. Both River and Blaze didn't know what the other was thinking. They both didn't know in 10 minutes they'd be bumping into each other.

The steady engine of Bentley's jeep, came around the corner, parking in front of the pavement Blaze was currently stood on. A voice in her head was screaming at her to turn away, to go back inside her house and to just ignore the entirety of the whole situation. She couldn't turn away though, everything needed to be sorted out, and because Bentley wouldn't let her.

The whole car ride consisted of silence, the only bit of noise coming from the music that was playing. Bentley didn't have to ask what was up, he took one glance at her and knew, even though he's never really seen her act like this before.

Coming to a stop in the parking lot of River's apartment building, the tall building towering over Blaze, her nervousness spiking.

River moved from his position on his dining table chair and now sat on his sofa. Biting his fingernails, his mind swayed to Blaze once again. Clearing the air between them was the only thing he could think of. He didn't want to jeopardise anything for her, nor did he want to ruin her.

The large wall of windows in his apartment were a front row view to all the city lights. Now glancing out of them, his face illuminated, his tense jaw becoming more visible, his eyes unmoving. Rushing to his car keys, he ran and swung open his door.

Blaze stood unmoving, staring at the entrance. Taking a needed breath in she held her head high and sauntered to the door, to the lifts. Pressing the button numerous times, she clenches her hands a couple times, shaking away the constant voice in the back of her head.

The lift doors opened, with Blaze's attention to the floor, she steps forward, bumping into a hard chest. Holding on for support, her eyes meet the other person's, shock becoming evident on both of their faces.

Jumping away from each other, River scratched the back of his neck while Blaze twiddled her thumbs, the both of them standing in the doorway to the lift.

"Do you...do you wanna come up..." River spoke, going back into the lift. Nodding, Blaze does the same, the both of them standing side by side.

It was never this awkward before, not when they were developing a friendship in the past month. They were free and gleeful with one another. Neither of them ever staying silent.

Stepping into River's apartment, Blaze looks around the familiar surroundings. She'd been here once before after River forgot something. The smell of coffee and River's familiar cologne filling her nostrils, a smile wavering on her face.

River didn't speak as he started making a coffee for himself. He'd offered a drink to Blaze that she declined, she didn't think she could keep anything down. River placing his cup down, sat across from Blaze.

The glow from the city lights, spotlighted the two. Hues of blues and yellows envelope the walls of the apartment.

"About the other day....that shouldn't happen. We can't let that happen." River spoke, getting straight to the point. He didn't want to lengthen the conversation out and make a little speech, it just wasn't his style. He also didn't want to hurt himself or Blaze more in the process.

"I agree." Blaze said, her eyes meeting his. "We should never have leaned in, it was wrong of me to on my part, you're helping me, it would've been wrong."

"Could we go back to normal? Like nothing ever happened. We won't make that mistake again."

"....yeah..."

They both never thought of the near kiss as a mistake, but the hurt that went through Blaze as he said this made her look down, wanting to avoid his gaze. She wanted to kiss him, and it wasn't a mistake to her.

River lied when he said it was a mistake. A pang of guilt rushed through him, because he saw the whole situation as anything but a mistake. If he had the chance, he'd kiss her in a heartbeat.

Even though both of them agreed to never let something like the near kiss happen again, the longing glances they were sharing said otherwise.

————————

UNEDITED