44

BLAZE

Today is the day I'm going to attempt cooking something without burning the house down. Everyone is coming back home tomorrow and I want to spend one last afternoon with River, hence why I'm cooking. It's not going to be the last time I'm seeing him but it'll be the last peaceful time before I tell the others. We've been spending so much time in our little bubble that we totally forgot about the outside world. The dinner is going to be another thank you to River also, I want to make everything special, something to never forget. Though with my lack of cooking skills who knows how it will all turn out. 

After setting the table and putting the burning hot spaghetti onto two plates, I rush to answer the door. River's smile makes the butterflies in my stomach to start moving erratically and my knees weak. 

"Hi." I say breathlessly even though I haven't done that much.

"Hello gorgeous..." he mutters, pecking my lips. "What's that smell?" he asks quizzically.

"I might've made you dinner that surprisingly didn't turn into a disaster. Though I haven't tried it so it might be a disaster so you best try with caution. If you don't want to that's totally fine, I'll get the takeaway menus--" 

"...Blaze... you're rambling. I'm sure it's lovely." 

I hope it is, though I'm not too sure.

--------------

Sitting down at the table, I twiddle my fork round picking up the spaghetti. Trying some my face scrunches up, and I try and hold back a gag. The disgusting taste lingers in my mouth. Before I can tell River to abort, he eats some. This is not how I wanted it to go. At all. 

"I love that you've gone to all this effort, I appreciate it. But Blaze, you're a terrible cook." he says making my face drop, I'm never going to cook again. "But this is easily fixable, I'll teach you when you're next round mine." 

"I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. Seriously we all make mistakes. My mom couldn't cook either, she kept it a secret for years until my dad found out one day. He taught her to cook and now she's the best cook I know. We'll work on it." 

"How long did she keep it a secret?"

"Seventeen years. I was twelve when it got out."

"Can you teach me now maybe?"

"Sure. anything for you."

Because Nicola has been vegetarian for over a year now, there hasn't been any meat in the house, luckily River said he could do something with the meat free burgers that were in the freezer. I watch as he glides around the small kitchen picking up spices and stuff as he goes. He taught me a few new techniques as well, like how to fry the meat and layer it in spices and flavourings and how to add the right amount without making it taste nasty. The smell of cajun spice and herbs stayed in the air even when he had finished using them. River let me make a spicy mayonnaise by adding the cajun spice and lemon juice. 

Spreading the mayonnaise on the burger bun and meat River sets it all together by putting cucumber and lettuce on the bottom, the meat in the middle and the top on the burger bun. It looked almost professional and the smell was intoxicating. 

"Take a bite." he urges, tapping the table.

Biting down on the burger, a warm tingling sensation explodes in my mouth, the range of flavours dancing around and melting together in my mouth is heavenly. My eyes roll in the back of my head and my face scrunches. This is incredible.

"Wow!" I mumble still having some in my mouth. The taste is euphoric.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it. This is incredible."

"My mom taught me how to make that. My dad made it for her first and she copied it."

"Your dad clearly knew what he was doing."

"He really did."

----------------

The night was warm as River and I sat outside, gazing at the fairy lights thay draped around the garden, the hundreds of little lights flaring up the garden making everything visible. The fragrant flowers that were scattered in pots around the pavement, filling my nose with their scent. The newly installed hot tub in the corner was also visible.

I haven't tried the new hot tub yet, I haven't had the time to. No time like the present though. I glance to River, thinking about it for a second before turning to him and asking,

"Wanna go in the hot tub?" 

"I don't know..." he says unsure.

"Come on it will be nice."

"Go on then, I suppose." he rolls his eyes playfully.

After stripping down into just my underwear, I can't help but stare at River shirtless. Seeing him like that makes me unusually shy. I don't ever remember being like that around Bentley but around River it's different. 

I slide down into the deep hot water, the whirlpool device sending out bubbles against my back. I sunk down further in the soothing water, relaxing my muscles. River slides down in the corner beside me, throwing his arm around me. 

Leaning back I soak into the hot tub, the serene atmosphere relaxing my body. The birds chirping and the noise from the hot tub was all that could be heard, River and I in a sweet silence, one that isn't awkward. 

I've never been so calm in my life. I used to be a hot head, agitated and angry all the time. There's more to be now than those things, I could even consider myself wiser. 

"This is nice, being here with you." River says breaking the silence.

"I like being here with you too." 

"No really Blaze. Before you there was nothing keeping me grounded, nothing keeping me from going off the edge. I knew as soon as I saw you that you needed help, that was the day I felt like I had a purpose again. You're the reason I'm doing so well. I intend to stay this way. You've opened my eyes again Blaze." 

His confession stuns me into silence, I didn't know what to say other than cuddle up next to him. He wraps his other arm around me, holding me tight. I enjoy the closeness we have with each other, the feeling of his skin next to mine, hearing the steady beating of his heart. It's more calming than the hot tub.

He presses his lips against the top of my head. "I think I'm falling for you Blaze." he whispers so quietly I almost don't hear him. His words make my heart pound a little faster.

"I think I'm falling for you too River." I respond glancing up at him. 

Reaching up to stroke his cheek I place my lips on his. Sparks surging me through once again. I love the feeling of his lips on mine. We continue kissing, his hands roaming around my body, his tender touch sending shivers down my spine.

Everything is perfect now.

--------------------

unedited