42

BLAZE

Bentley and Cori are back in three days giving me three days to have the time of my life with River. When they come back I'm going to tell them after they've eaten the food I'm going to buy them, sweeten them up a bit. Even though I shouldn't have to and they should be happy for me no matter what. I'll sit them down and tell them, easy, with no pressure. It's not that much of a big deal.

It has been ten minutes and I've left River waiting in his car, I wanted to look perfect for today. I have no idea where we're going but he said to keep an open mind. He's probably thinking I've left him because of how long I'm taking.

Strolling out of my house, I see him waiting, as his eyes meet mine, he stares with his mouth agape. I don't look that good, I made minimal effort like usual, only spending a bit extra time on my unruly hair.

"You're beautiful." he whispers as I get in the car. I feel my cheeks heating up red. "Don't look away. I want to see you." he says after I'd looked away.

"Thanks." I mutter.

I gaze into his brown eyes, the eyes that will forever stand out to me and be imprinted in my brain. Those damn eyes have had me from day one. Nevermind that damn smile.

"Where are we going?"

"I can't do that, in fear that you might possibly run off."

The thought of not knowing where we're going and his cryptic explanations makes me internally freak out.

------------

"Why have you brought us here you idiot?"

The neon light for The Jingle bar reflects off his car and on our faces. A bar, he has taken me to a bar. I don't think that's a good idea considering our circumstances.

"Calm down. You need to get used to the bar if you want to go out with people and they want to come to a bar."

"I'm gonna kill you." I threaten trying to put my foot down but he doesn't miss the smile etching its way on my face.

"Nah you won't."

The Jingle was a place I always used to come to. The old trio consisting of Bentley, Greyson and I used to go drinking and partying until it closed. The rowdy atmosphere is what used to attract me to the place. There was always something going on. The owner, Gladys, loved the three of us, gave us free drinks and never bothered asking us for ideas. She was always feisty towards Greyson and Bentley when they tried flirting with the women that would go and drink there. She's like everyone's mum in a way.

"I've missed this place."

Everyone around me cheered as soon as I walked in, the regular customers remembering who I was. The place was once a normal day at the bar soon turning into a welcome home party for me.

"I should've known that you'd come here before."

"It's like the best bar in Birmingham, to me anyway. I used to come here all the time." I tell him.

"Is that Flaming Blaze?" Gladys shouts over the bar.

Running up to her I give her a giant hug. I haven't seen the woman in months.

"Hey Gladys."

"Hey kiddo. What are you drinking?"

"Two oranges juices for me and my friend."

"Oh, who's that pretty boy?" she eyes River up, her brow quirking upwards. "He better be treating you right, or I'll kick his ass" she mutters pouring the orange juice.

Gladys is very protective of the kids she meets. The amount of people she used to kick out for just saying hi to me was shocking.

The afternoon went on and I got used to being around the bar again. It became easy after a while and whenever I thought about having something I had a swig of orange juice. River and I had a game of darts and a game of pool. He thought he could beat me, and it was pretty close, but the amount of times I've spent practicing. River even made the wrong decision by betting money, he doubted my ability a bit.

"Yes!" I cheered as I won the game of darts again, fleecing River of his money.

"I think I might need to get a second job." he says shaking his head and handing me a 20.

"Should have thought about that before doubting my abilities."

"I never doubted you for a second, I'm just stunned at how good you are."

My favourite song starts playing and it brings me to my feet, the slow rhythm making me sway. I wonder if River would want to dance? He doesn't have to as it's a slow song and he might not be into that. River's eyes move as I do, his eyes never leaving me. Glancing around the bar, couple are up on their feet and dancing, averting my eyes back to River I ask,

"Do you want to dance?"

"Why not." he jumps up, standing in front of me.

I've never danced like this with anyone in my life. Shaking my hips and grinding is what I'm used to. He places his hands on my waist, my arms wrapping loosely around his neck. We move side to side, getting into the swing of things.

I never thought I'd dance like this and here I am swaying to a song. Grasping my hand, he removes his hold on my waist and spins me around. Landing back in his arms he removes the strands of hair from my eyes, staring into them.

"I love those pretty green eyes."

Wetting my lips I kiss his lips, my heart beat beginning to intensify. The whole room came to a halt, not paying attention to anything but each other. His lips are soft against mine making my knees weak and my mind wonders if it is happening at this moment is real. Parting away for breath, River's lips were getting closer, parting my lips, I feel him washing over me like a wave of blazing flames and ice cold water, my senses becoming completely captivated by his hypnotic touch. Gripping onto his jacket, I pull him closer, deepening the intense but delicate kiss.

The music playing in the background sounded far away, like we're not even in the room, the talking of people around us becoming a silent whisper. The smell of our body spray's mixing lingering in the air. Everything else that was going on didn't matter, the thought of him being the only thing worth thinking about, my other thoughts silencing and the world around us coming second.

Breaking away for well needed air, I glance at him, a wide smile on his face.

It's that smile.

That damn smile.

The smile that reeled me in, in the first place.

-----------

unedited