21

BLAZE

    The raindrops clattered against cars and dripped down windows, as I sat staring outside. The wet smell seemed to travel throughout the house.

I'm suppose to be meeting River today, but the miserable and drowsy weather makes me want to stay at home and be snuggled up between blankets until morning, watching my favourite films.

I could cancel but I just can't seem to. I really want to see River. I kind of need to see him right now. My birthday is in a week and it brings up a lot of memories. Plus I can't really remember the last time I did it sober. It's just going to be a really hard day and quite frankly I'm not in the mood for it.

We could stay in though, and just watch a film or something. We'll be alone as Cori's out with Joanna and Jake and Nicola are having a date night, so I'll essentially have peace to talk to him.

I grab my phone, tapping to find the messages between River and I. After texting River to change our plans, my eyes drift down to my pyjamas.

God I can't open the door and see River looking like this.

He'd run a mile, and I certainly do not want that.

I scramble upstairs, to my room and frantically start flinging our clothes and trying to find something presentable to change into.

I've never worried about my appearance.

Until now at least.

I grab my leggings and one of Bentley's many flannel shirts I've stole and quickly put them on.

While checking myself over, I hear a knock at the door.

He's here.

He drives too quick for my liking.

Ambling down the stairs, standing by the front door, I pause before opening it. Wiping down my unusually sweaty palms and taking another deep breath.

I feel so...so nervous.

Opening the door, I'm met with perfection....

.....I mean River.

   Dressed in a similar flannel and jeans, with his usual white converse. His flawless smile gracing his face and his gorgeous chocolate eyes, staring down at me, making me internally melt.

"Hey River." I smile, trying to avert my eyes from looking up and down at him.

"Hey B." He spoke, stepping inside.

We strolled into the living room, River taking a seat on the sofa.

"So...what are we doing exactly..?"

"I'm going to be introducing you to greatness my friend." I spoke, showing him the movie I picked out, Heathers.

Rolling his eyes, with a playful smirk on his face, he leaned back into the sofa, as I went to get some snacks.

Putting the movie in the DVD player, I sat by him, passing him some popcorn.

    While the movie is playing, my eyes drifted every so often to the hunk of a man sitting next to me. I watched how he smiled when a funny part came on and the was his head shook as he laughed.

I was totally not into the movie like I normally am, I was into something far more interesting.

The only time I would move my gaze was when I wanted some popcorn, or when he would move his head to look at me.

I can't stay focused whatsoever.

——————

With the movie finished, I turn off the T.V and start tidying up the dropped popcorn.

"What did you need to talk about." River spoke, turning towards me. "You've been acting off for a few days now."

"....It's my birthday next week," I averted my gaze to my lap, avoiding his eyes.

"Let me guess....you hate it."

"My birthday is always difficult since the accident. This year is gonna be even harder as I'm not drinking anymore, so I just really don't know what I'm going to do. It's just a really dreadful day."

"I know what you mean. I barely acknowledge my own. Hey, just pretend it's not even your birthday, like it's an ordinary day, just with presents,"

"You've been doing so well Blaze. I'm really proud of you for how far you've come. You're strong willed, I know you can get through the day in one piece. I just know it." He grips my hand and hold it tight, his touch making me instantly calmer than I was about the whole situation.

"What do you think people are going to get you for your birthday anyway?" He asks after a bit of silence.

"Not what I truly want, that's for sure."

"What's that then?"

"I really want to go to the Heathers Musical that's going on at the theatre. I mentioned it but, apparently, the tickets were all sold out, I've always wanted to go, my mom and I were saving up for it before she—" I cut myself off, not wanting to finish my sentence, even now the words couldn't come out.

"Maybe one day you'll go Blaze." He said with a smile, with his hand now on my back, rubbing his hand up and down, soothing me.

He always knows exactly what to do or say. He's got such a way with words that he makes everything seem possible or better.

Maybe, I can, somehow, get through the day.

——————————

UNEDITED

That took longer than expected.

For some reason this was really hard to write and I'll probably make some changes but for now imma just publish it before I delete everything and start crying in the corner or something 😂