22

BLAZE

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" I'm broken away from my dreamless but peaceful sleep by multiple, loud cheery voices.

Oh they better not be all standing in my room right now.

Opening my eyes I see Jake, Nicola, Cori and Bentley, all standing in my room, looking gleeful as ever.

"....yeah.....happy birthday to me.....and all that stuff," I mumble, rolling my eyes.

"Come on Blaze, get up, you've got gifts from all of us."

Remember what River told you. It's just a normal day with presents.

Watching them all walk away, back downstairs, I get out of bed and trudge down there myself.

The light, winter sunshine contrasts with my darkened mood. I'd rather stay in bed all day listening to music than do anything whatsoever. I'm grateful that they've gone to all this effort but I just really don't need it right now.

My sixteenth was an amazing but messy night, though I didn't know what day it was so it was just an ordinary party to me, I had no idea what was going on. I was high and drunk out of my mind, dancing with Bentley and Greyson to a random song that was playing. I never came home for two days after that, my godparents got the police involved and everything, thinking I'd run away or something. Yeah....more like sleeping off the worst hangover of my life.

Laughing at the memory I get to the dining table where breakfast is laid out in front of everyone, including an empty spot for me. Sitting down, I begin sipping my tea, while watching the rest of them chomping on bacon and sausages.

"So what's your plans for today Blaze?" Jake asks, smiling at me.

"Nothing. I'm just going to stay in."

"Boring!" Bentley sang, holding his cup of coffee in a posh manner.

"Look seriously guys, I'd rather just stay in with you lot."

"Fine, okay. But we're having game night like we used to, and I'm going to beat your ass at twister again." Bentley spoke, smirking to himself.

"We'll see about that, loser."

———————

"Blaze, come see what I got you." Bentley yelled, smiling wide and dragging me to the sofa.

"Open open open!" He patted his lap, shoving the present into my hands.

"Okay, calm down." I half smile.

Opening the badly wrapped present, a picture in a frame is what I'm met with. A photograph of Bentley and I taken in the summer when we went to a festival together. The memory of the day bringing a joyful smile on my face.

"Oh my, B." I meet his eyes, a small tear in my eyes.

"I love it. Thank you so much."

"Have a look at the other one." He tells me with a knowing look in his eye.

"Huh?"

I too my head to the side before moving the photo frame out of the way and liking underneath.

Underneath was a picture of my brother and I when I was thirteen and he was four. We were so happy. I thought we'd have ages together. That we'd always be together. That I'd always be there for him. I can't do that anymore.

This picture reminded me of all the happy times. Even all the happy times won't outweigh the guilt I feel.

Sharply, I suck in a breath, tears slowly falling down my cheek. I pull Bentley in for a hug. This was truly the best present ever.