35

BLAZE

I would stay at River's for longer if I could but I need to go back home sooner or later. The Blaze O'Toole apology tour is going to be in full affect as soon as I step through those doors. I need to take back everything I said, all the words I didn't mean.

My time staying with River helped me figure a lot of different things out. I need to stop living in the past and focus on the life ahead of me, whatever that may hold. The best part was that we shared our histories and it's made us closer and even more understanding of one another.

Standing like a lost puppy in front of the Casen household I swallow the rising lump in my throat and stroll to the door, knocking it twice. Glancing to the floor and moving back and forth on my spot the door swings open and arms engulf me giving me a surprise hug. Jake's forest green eyes analyse me, worry in his features.

"Are you okay?" He asks sternly, grasping my hands.

"I'm good, I promise. I really need to talk to everyone in the living room though. Is everybody here?"

"Yeah, I'll just call the boys down."

Stepping into the living room I spot Nicola who rushes over to me also giving me a hug. Bentley and Cori join as soon as they see me also joining in the now giant group hug.

"Alright, guys I love you all but you're suffocating me." I say pushing them all away and taking a seat on the sofa, the four of them following.

"I'm so glad your back even though Cori and I stole your room meaning you're gonna have to move into Cori's old one." Bentley chuckles punching my arm.

"I'm gonna kill you and Cori if any mess has been made in my room."

"It was already messy so killing us isn't justified." Cori pipes up the two boys laughing.

"I'm not messy." I say defensively shaking my head.

"No offence but you're a bit of a slob." Slapping Bentley lightly round the face, Jake and Nicola come back in with drinks, handing them out to the three of us. Sipping my tea I stand in front of everyone ready to give my apology speech.

"The past few days I've hung out with River, as you all know. I've talked things through with him and it has really helped being away and with him. I've dealt with some of my issues and decided it's best for everyone if I move on with my life. What I said to you all was incredibly wrong and I didn't mean a word of it. I was acting like a bitch and I shouldn't have." Standing straight, I address them all, hoping they have forgiven me for my behaviour.

"We know that day was difficult and we should've tried a different approach. But next time talk to us before taking pills, or go to River." Nicola says smiling kindly. Her smile made one waver on my lips. She's always been there and I've always pushed her away, I didn't want my mom thinking I was replacing her.

"I know you didn't mean what you said. You were hurting and it's understandable. It's like when you told me what Cori went through when his goldfish died, he was hurting and crying like a bitch." Bentley cackles, slapping him on the back.

"Blaze why did you tell him?" Cori whines, earning chuckles from the rest of us.

"We forgive you Blaze." Jake says.

I'm glad they forgive me, I dreaded coming home in fear that they would reject me. That they wouldn't want to deal with someone like me anymore. I deserve it for the way I acted, I deserve their harsh words instead of their kindness. The four people in this room have been by my side through everything. I'm glad I have them in my life. Bentley and Cori are like my brothers more than my best friends. Nicola and Jake are like second parents. They may not be my blood, but they are my family.

Gazing over the people in front of me I smile and mentally kick myself for my next words.

"I'm gonna punch myself later for being so mushy, but I love you guys so much. You're my family." My cringy speech brought tears into their eyes. Bentley pounces on me giving me a tight hug, wet tears trickling from his eyes and landing on my neck. While stroking his velvety disheveled hair the others come joining in. I think it's more or Bentley than me, he needs the love and support more than I do.

-------------

Laughing fills the entire house, the comedy movie on the TV bringing tears to our eyes and making our stomachs hurt. Times like this is what I love the most, the laughter, the joy, the three of us spending time together.

A knock on the door disrupts the movie. Pausing it despite the groans from the boys, I traipse to the door, wondering who could be knocking the door at this hour. The constant knocking continues.

For crying out loud!

Swinging the door open, Carla stands in front of me, her shoulder slumped and her lips straight.

"Carla?"

"Hi Blaze. I know this is unexpected but can we talk... maybe tomorrow. I really need to talk to you." her eyes look at me pleadingly, she's always been this cheerful confident girl, never closed off or anxious.

"Yeah of course. Do you want to come in?"

"I can't tell you with other people around. Can you meet me tomorrow? At the cafe."

"Message me what time and I'll be there. Are you okay though?"

"I will be." she says before turning on her heel and walking away from the driveway and back to her car, her curly hair blowing effortlessly in the light wind.

What is up with Carla? Why does she seem so distressed and sad? What does she need to tell me?

This isn't normal behaviour for Carla and it worries me.

"Who was that?" Bentley says with his mouthful of popcorn.

"Uh... no one, just somebody selling something." I know if I told him who it really was her wouldn't let me go alone and Carla only wants to talk to me.

I wonder what has her on edge?

---------------------

unedited

what do you think is up with Carla?