38

BLAZE

Waking up was different. I’d normally have a little bit of dread before the day even began. Today however was different, for the first time I don’t have that small piece of dread eating away at me, the voice in my head that would usually bog me down for the day ahead, no longer present. New. Everyone in the house seemed to notice my change too. They were surprised by it but happy for me. Glad that I’m getting better. 

The Casen’s are not letting me back to college still, though I am glad, with Carla’s warning about Greyson I can’t bear to be around him. I’ll need a little more time until I can see the self-centered idiot. 

Having the house to myself again I decide to catch up on some drawing, sketching random patterns to see what they come out like. Tracing my finger over the lines using my pencil to follow a banging at the door knocks my concentration making my pencil lead break.

Opening the door, my brows furrow but a smile spreads on my lips nonetheless. River stood in front of me, his hair windswept and a helmet in hand.

“Grab your jacket, let's go,” he rushes, grabbing my leather jacket from the stairs and throwing it to me, dragging me by my hand out the house. 

A motorbike stood next to the drive. Turning my head to River I stare wide eyed. There is no way I’m getting on that death trap. Never in a million years would I. Though spending time with River is appealing.

“Are you serious?” 

“Yeah hop on. Here’s your helmet.” he says, handing me a helmet and ushering me to jump on.

“...fine.” I give in, sliding the helmet on and getting on the bike behind River.

He starts revving the engine making my nerves set in. The motorbike moves a little bit causing my arms to wrap around his waist, leaning my head on his shoulder blade. Speeding off down the road, my death grip around River never loosening. 

“Enjoy it Blaze. Let go.” he shout over the running engine.

Deciding to listen to him, I lift my head off his back glancing at where we were. A dirt road that looks as if it goes on forever was in front of us, trees and grass surround us as we pass, the trees becoming an instant blur due to River’s speed. The sun was slowly setting the sky changing to colours of pink, the clouds nowhere to be seen. My hair flew back behind me, dancing around with a mind of it own. My hand lifts up, touching the sky. 

“Woo!” I cheer feeling the breeze tickle against my hand. 

This is what I imagine freedom to be like. Having the wind touch your skin and not worrying about the world around you. The feeling of being on top of the world. Nothing else matters but that moment.

River stops and skids to a halt. Taking our helmets off, I’m met with a toothy grin, River’s dimples showing. 

“I’m assuming you enjoyed it.”

“Are you kidding, this is the best day ever.” I say pushing his shoulder.

“Wait until you see the view. Close your eyes,” he tells me putting his hand in mine guiding me along.

“Look.” The first thing I see is the sun, slowly going down behind the horizon. The beaming sun filled with colours of orange and gold melts with the pink sunset. The beauty of it causing a breath to slip out, one I didn’t know I was holding in. The view is extraordinary, something I never could have imagined. 

“Wow…” 

“I knew you’d like this when I found it.” 

Standing side by side the world around us stops. Nothing else seems to matter. Just the air hitting my face, the sun setting and River by my side. The only thing I’m bothered about in this moment in time. He remembered when I told him months ago that I’d love to see a view like this one, I didn’t dream of it happening today.

“Are you glad you came?” he turns to me, bodies facing each other.

“Yeah, this is incredible.” I bite my lip as our eyes meet once again. 

Staring into his eyes, the eyes I’ve got lost in so many times before, I feel an enormous pull. Pulling me deeper and deeper, closer and closer towards him.

Noticing he keeps glancing down at my lips, I shuffle closer towards him. Placing my hand on his arm, I move it upwards, to the back of his neck, my other hand doing the same.

I need this. We need this.

Softly, I press my lips to his, pecking them and moving my face away, watching his chocolate eyes flutter. Staring into his eyes once again, we press our lips together. Our lips moving in sync, moulding together perfectly. Sparks surging through me, a tingling sensation left on my lips every time we move to get a better angle. Tingles that rush through like waves. His hands move to my hips, stroking my skin. Warmth radiating through my body from his touch. 

My eyes closed in bliss, wanting to savour the moment, remember it. 

A few months ago, I never would have expected to be here with him. I never expected our paths to cross after I ran out of his session. I never expected that I’d be kissing River Raeken. My miracle. The one that stopped my fall before anything bad happened. One meeting changed everything and I couldn’t be happier.

Leaning out of our embrace we lean our foreheads together, our hearts beating rapidly in sync. He cups my cheek giving me one last kiss, slow and steady. 

Passion. This is what I imagine passion to be like. Starting off small but growing and growing. A dot on a piece of paper getting bigger and bigger. Fireworks exploding after a little bit of fire activated them. Our spark has been growing for months, and finally we gave in, leading to this moment. It being well worth the wait in the end.

Maybe it’s too soon, maybe it’s wrong, but right now, I don’t think I’ve ever been so carefree in my life. 

Breaking away, River holds my shoulders, staring down at me like he’s afraid I’d disappear. I could never disappear now, I can’t bear the thought of it. 

“Wow…” he says with a breathy chuckle, brushing his fingers against his lips. 

---------------

unedited

ARGHHH THEY FINALLY KISSED

tell me your thoughts on this chapter...