Chapter 5

Familiar Faces

"I promise that I'm fine," (Y/n) tries to reassure her friends who learned from Sasha that when she had walked into the bathroom, she found (Y/n) kneeling on the floor, "I swear it on Maria, Rose, and Sina. I was just tired from running the thirty laps."

"Over exhaustion doesn't result in panic attacks and crying," Sasha spoke up with a finger pointing upwards as if she was stating something scientific. (Y/n) clicks her tongue, rolling her eyes at her friend.

"Sasha, you're making the situation worse" (Y/n) scolds her friend. Sasha gives her a small, apologetic smile.

"(Y/n), don't take it out on Sasha," Krista says, her crystal blue eyes revealing her worry, "Please understand we are just worried about you. A panic attack is very serious."

"I'm fine, I'm just in shock from the run, plus Eren is doing way worse than I am," (Y/n) mumbles and nods toward her friend who was spaced out, a bandage wrapped around his head. He was dumbfounded.

"Looks like you and Eren are the worst at balancing," Connie snickers at the events that had unfolded earlier.

"Connie, stop," (Y/n) states. She wasn't in the mood to be poked at. Her mind was still clouded by the haunting image of the creature. Soon the bell rings, indicating it was time to retire back to the cabins. 

The girls walked together towards the cabin, Ymir had wrapped her arm around (Y/n)'s shoulders to comfort her. Even though training had started just a few days ago, Ymir and she had formed a quick connection. Possibly because their personalities were so similar that they understand each other without even uttering a word.

Their closeness wasn't left unnoticed by their peers. Jean had shown clear hints of jealousy which Connie and Marco would tease him about when they had the chance. Eren, Armin, and Mikasa were a different story though, they wondered when and how their childhood friend had grown so much.

"She's something else, you can tell she's too mature for her age," a blonde says, grabbing Eren's and Armin's attention, "You guys were thinking about (Y/n), right?"

"How did you know?" Eren asks and turns his body to face the two people next to him.

"Everyone is thinking about her," the blonde says with a smirk, "She's only been here for three days and everyone is paying attention to her. One hell of a friend you get there. I'm Reiner by the way, this is Bertholdt."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Eren and this is Armin," the brunette responds and his teal eyes light up when he recognizes the two boys in front of him, "Hey! Teach me how you guys were able to balance."

"Why would we do that?" Reiner asks, his eyes closed and deep in thought.

"You'll get to help (Y/n) too?" Eren schemingly smirks, hoping this would convince them to help his dear friend and him, but mostly him.

Reiner opened his eyes at this and smiled, holding out his hand to shake, "Now that's what I'm talking about."

(Y/n) wasn't sleeping, she was just staring up at the bed above her. She couldn't believe that whatever that thing was had followed her all the way to the training grounds. But there was something different about it this time. The mark didn't grow painful meaning that it wasn't physically there. But if it wasn't physically there, then why did she see it? Was she actually that thing's daughter? 

Before she could continue beating herself with questions, the door to the cabin opened slightly. A head pokes into the cabin and a male voice spoke, "(Y/n)? Are you awake?"

(Y/n) grumbles knowing who that voice belonged to. Her feet slip into the combat boots next to her bed, and she stands once her laces were tied. She grabs onto her dark green coat, slipping her arms into the soft wool sleeves. She walks up to her door, (c/n) happily following her.